Guess who?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Guess who this is, or do you recognize him? He is world famous and the best at his craft (IMO). I have been a huge fan since age 15 or so. He was my mentor, though of corse we never met. My dream was to ascend to his level of mastery of the art. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we have another passion in common; snowshoeing!

happy_snowshoer-neil.jpg

happy_snowshoer-neil2.jpg

his blog describes xc skiing and snowshoeing in his native Quebec, and a new-found love for photography.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Way cool! I know that name - was listening to some of their old stuff on the drive in this morning. :)

Ah, the classics! My formative years, musically. I like the fact that he's on skis more then the snowshoes. :)

Excellent, this came to mind:

"There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

<Rest deleted - copyrighted song lyrics>

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent, this came to mind:

"There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

<Rest deleted - copyrighted song lyrics>

This is actually one of my favorite songs and I sing it to myself often while hiking. It's a brilliant commentary on the folly of unnatural, forced wealth redistribution, analogizing light to wealth. It's so me.

In another interview I read, he said he sometimes imagines skiing through the forest while he's on stage performing. Hmmm.... I often imagine myself behind his kit, with Alex and Geddy, performing that music while I'm going along the trail. Wow.

They're playing in Boston and Manchester this summer.

The professor of the drum kit

My son's headstone is inscribed:

Suddenly, you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon...

The whole song, AfterImage, appeared on my son's prayer card, with my favorite picture of him.

Rush was one of the things we could see eye to eye on.

AfterImage

Suddenly, you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon...

I remember
How we talked and drank into the misty dawn
I hear the voices

We ran by the water on the wet summer lawn
I see the footprints
I remember

<Rest Deleted - Copyrighted lyrics>

That is AWESOME!!! I just got tickets for the Jones Beach show in July. That is so cool!!! Whadya talk about? Where was this that you met him?

Has anyone seen the studio that they recorded their latest album in? Wild. Check out Allaire Studios. Right in the Catskills.

Last edited:
way cool - I am not like most - where most would like their stuff like fly by night, 2112, etc.. I like signals, hold your fire, power windows, etc.. I think their 80's stuff is best.

subdivsions :)

I always said, someday I'll have a motorcycle, and ...

it'll be a BMW!
Wow. That is my kinda guy!
As a teen, I l i v e d in my black RUSH t-shirt.
How cool! --- We all grow up and love snowshoeing. :D

If you want to read a very good book, especially from a non-author by training, read Neil's book:

Ghost Rider

It's about his bicycle trip across western Africa. Seems like Neil is quite the traveler, mostly by motorcycle but the book is about a bike trip...

Jay

I heard there's negotiations going on now with John Rutsey ,once Neil decides
he's ready to retire :D

Very cool.

IndianChris said:
Has anyone seen the studio that they recorded their latest album in? Wild. Check out Allaire Studios. Right in the Catskills.
Allaire Studios, also known as Glen Tonche (many additional photos on that webpage), was built as a residence for the Pitcairn family at the 1860' level of the 2020' Tonshi Mountain. It seems every musician under the sun has recorded there. The estate at the top of the mountain is privately owned. There is also an observation tower at the summit which is part of the private estate. Both the studios and the tower are visible from the Ashokan Reservoir and other vantage points. Pitcairn Road winds up the southern slopes of the mountain and is more legible on this map. Another photo album of the studio is here.

Last edited:
Neil Peart is the drummer for the progressive rock band Rush. He's also the genius behind much of their material.

He replaced John Rutsey as the drummer early in Rush's career.