Biking on Elk Lake Road?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
When does the Elk Lake Road open for the season? This winter I skied the road when attempting Carson and Hough and wondered - is it legal/ethical to mountain bike the road to the trailhead? I don't remember seeing any prohibition on bikes.

KZ

do you mean biking on the old lumberroad into the lean-tos or do you mean just into the parking lot?

Road may be open already

Last year the road was opened to public use around mid-April. You may be able to leave your bike home.

Why not call the Elk Lake Lodge managers and inquire as to whether it's OK to ride your bike from the gate to the trailhead? The road is privately maintained, so they should be able to provide the definitive answer. And you might make a few positive points for the hiking public in general, just by showing them the courtesy of asking.

In any event, it's quite certain that your bike will not be allowed off the road or beyond the trailhead once you enter Elk Lake Preserve property.

G.

Just on the auto road

I would not take the mountain bike anywhere you cannot take a car in the summer. I always abide by the rules and just wanted to be sure I knew what they were for this particular private road!

Other private roads like the Ausable Club and Bradley Pond are open only for hiking unless you are a landowner or member. Elk Lake Road is slightly different since you can drive it in the "summer", so it is kind of unique.

KZ

Elk Lake Road not open

As of 4/24 the road was not open. I did ride my bike - it saved me 4 miles of walking and shaved probably 1.5 hours off a 13 hour day!

Elk Lake road

Hey, KZ! You had a short day hike compared to me!

The Elk Lake road, as of 4-25, is dry and in excellent condition. The road is still closed at Clear Pond, but it's a very easy 2 mile walk back to the summer trailhead. The walk back out again just seems to be farther. -ALG

I was in the Dix Range 2 weekends ago and I spoke to the lady who lives at the house at Clear Pond. She said MAY 7TH the gate opens. So you'll all have to hoof the extra 2 miles to the trailhead. :rolleyes:

KZKlimber said:
They must open the gate to let the Black Flies in.

Sadly enough I miss my blackflies and now I'm stuck in atlanta for the summer. Someone please do a sunset giant hike for me (which as far as sunset hikes go, is the most amazing one in the 'dacs. just stay up top for the very start of it and then you can literally race the sun down the mountain and only need your headlamp for like the last 20min/half hour.)

MMB
adk 46r 5048