keeping wet snow off crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Yesterday the temperature was so warm the snow kept sticking to my crampons. So much built up it was like walking on 3 inch cushon of snow. Not only that causes extra weight but the spikes dont dig in. How to keep the snow from sticiking? WD-40?

I use WD-40 and it works fine. If someone knows something better I would be interested as well.

Don't put those snowshoes away yet--it started snowing in Waterville Valley about two hours ago.
Skibones

I have the anti-bots for my Grivel g-10s, that came with them when I bought them. I have used basic spray on cooking spray too (aka. Pam). Works OK, has to be reapplied like anything that you spray on. Maybe a paste glide wax might work longer but I haven't tried that. the spray on stuff is easy enough.

Jay

Don't like walking on softballs, do ya?

Anti-balling plates work "OK". Those, coupled with some WD-40 on occasion (I've heard of the Pam trick as well) will work it out for the most part.

Swix F4 works pretty well. I don't know if it is better or worse than WD40 for LNT. We used Pam on our pedals and cleats during cyclo-cross season to keep the mud, snow, ice, rain, etc., out of them. It works pretty well, but doesn't last a whole race if really, really muddy. If you had a pit bike and pit crew, no problem, clean, wash, re-apply, take a new bike every lap. That wasn't me ;)

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
Swix F4 works pretty well. I don't know if it is better or worse than WD40 for LNT.
I expect that waxes would leave less offensive residue than WD40 and also be a lot less messy in general (think of residues left in your pack...).

Paste waxes are probably easiest to apply. Swix F4 is one. Car or floor wax probably works too.

Of course there is also the obvious solution--stay off wet snow... :)

Doug

Hey, Knock It Off!!!

Take your ice axe (or whatever, but trekking poles are too light) and hit the inside of your foot periodically to knock it off. On a steep down climb do it every step just to avoid any potential for buildup that could lead to slipping.

jime said:
Take your ice axe (or whatever, but trekking poles are too light) and hit the inside of your foot periodically to knock it off. On a steep down climb do it every step just to avoid any potential for buildup that could lead to slipping.

Snapped my BD ski pole right in half doing that. I hit them so many times in the same spot that I didn't even know it but had softens the impact spot. Finally, I snapped it for good. I know carry a few spare pole lengths.

TEflon

Look in an industrial supply catalog for spray applied teflon, when dry is should leave no residue other then the amount of teflon thats bound to come off. There are also a number of silicone based release compounds available

dug said:
Snapped my BD ski pole right in half doing that. I hit them so many times in the same spot that I didn't even know it but had softens the impact spot. Finally, I snapped it for good. I know carry a few spare pole lengths.
I read of a case of someone damaging the shaft of a light weight ice axe knocking the snow off his crampons.

Hadn't thought of fatiguing the aluminum, but it could be a factor. Any materials experts around?

Doug

I thought I read about this fix here...

I pop-riveted a piece of plastic milk jug over the flat area of the crampon plates. Only used them once with no issues but it was fairly cool that day. I sold the snowshoes at a garage sale and strangely, the buyer didn't ask why the milk jug pieces were there.

I use a local stick. I just find a nearby stick and trim it to a good length. It works well and there are no worries about damaging a pole. I don't use poles, so I have free hands for the stick.

happy spring :)