Santanoni/Couchie April 24th?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadFred

Reaction score
Anyone interested in a day hike into the Santi's for these two mountains on Saturday April 24th?

We can throw in Panther if anyone wants to take the easy jaunt over there, too.

It's probably gonna be muddy and yucky so this may be the last chance to get up there before the REAL mud comes in at elevation and the bugs start.

Can't be any worse than when I tried last October (the entire trail 2 miles before bradley pond was a flowing stream with mud pits).

Have you been up these or are you looking to complete these for your 46? How fast of a hiker are you? At steep ascend I slow down quite a bit, but move well otherwise... (obviously I'm expressing interest but need to know if we're going to match up or hold one another back)

Fred, we're heading up there today(22) to spend a couple of days getting wet and tired. If you find us up there say hi. We'll probably be camping at the LT. Good luck, JimB.

yucky

"It's probably gonna be muddy and yucky "

You make it sound like so much much fun, that I... I'm hiking Hough instead! Good luck Fred!

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

Bob, Enjoy the WET AND MUDDY hike into Lillian LT. I should shut up because it still won't be as bad as the hike into Bradley!:D Good luck over there and tell Kevin I said he better get ready to finish on Allen in a couple weeks!

JimB, (If you get this) I'll look you up at BLT on my way in on Sat morning. Sounds like you'll still be there?

Kevin, That trail is usually always a mudpit and flowing mess, except in winter. I'm average to just above average in speed. I, too, slow down on the steeps but overall I make about 2.5 miles/hour or better. I descend very quickly (some would say recklessly!). I'm 195 pounds without pack and in decent shape but gravity works against me more than the smaller folks. This is my third attempt up there. I already have Panther. Need three more, including Santi and Couchie, for my first 46. Let me know if your interested. Oh, and I hike with my Australian Cattle Dog, Dakota. She's friendly and the best hiker dog you'll ever come across...really.

With the recent land purchase.....

... I think we can start using the old Santononi approach. It was clearly visible when I did them about 6 years ago. I thinlk it left the trail almost a mile from the lean-to; there may have even been a "trail closed"sign.

Mike

old trail

the old trail to Santanoni is still posted off-limits by a private club. Is it part of the Tahawus Tract land acquisition?

I'm almost positive the old trail is part of the land Tahawus Tract land acquisition. As a matter of fact the winter route this year was already crossing the boundry. But I don't know when formal/legal transfer occurs without doing some research so it's probably best to take the old route until sure.

Kevin, I'm gonna relpy to your PM today. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go now but won't know until later today.

DeadFred said:
Kevin, I'm gonna relpy to your PM today. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go now but won't know until later today.

K, the sooner the better for me as it will determine when I get to sleep tonight (and whether I go out to shoot pool with friends this evening ;) ). :)

But I'm hoping to get in some hiking tomorrow...

This old approach you all are talking about is it easier and or shorter than the route through Bradley Pond? I still have to bag Sant. as it did not cooperate for me when I bagged Couch and Panther last year.

ADAM

I'm off for the evening, gonna stay out late and head to central NY (later departing time) in the morning.

Hope to catch you on future hikes fred :)

Old Santanoni approach

FYI, the old Santanoni trail is DEFINITELY NOT part of the recent land acquisition, and is still off limits. My guess is you would find it in rough shape anyways, and the current established route will be easier.

To answer some questions: The old herdpath to Santa came directly up from the B-P trail, just a few minutes north of Santa's summit. It departed from the B-P trail quite a ways before the start of the current herdpath. While its intersection today with the Times-Square-Santanoni trail is obscure, there is evidence of it once on it. Since it is on private property, you would need permission from the Tahawus Club to use it.