Backcountry Camping between 112&Gordon Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic Shakedown

Reaction score
I am planning a trip for a group on the Kinsman Ridge Trail and wondering what the prospects are for backcountry camping off the Kinsman Ridge Trail between 112 and Gordon Pond. We would be moving slowly and spending the second night at Eliza Brook. Anybody have any experience in this area?

Additionally, has anybody been on the Gordon Pond Trail in the last year. I know AMC is no longer maintaining it, but what kind of condition is it in navigation-wise and blowdown-wise?

Many thanks for any help!

Last fall I mountain biked the trail to within maybe a mile of the pond and the trail was in good shape - no blowdowns that I remember. The start of the trail has a few skimobile/logging trails off it, so you need to navigate that part carefully according to the trail maps/descriptions. --Becca

Thanks, Becca. That's what I'm worried about is just getting going on Gordon Pond. Was there still much signage?

Anybody else been on Gordon Pond? Any camping on that stretch of Kinsman Ridge? Thanks!

G Pond

Gordon Pond is only about five or ten minutes from the AT footpath. The woods are fairly open from there to the pond, and quite pretty. I don't think that you will have much difficulty finding places to LNT.

The area around the pond is a little boggy, especially heading back toward Route 112. The trail around the pond heading south is somewhat confusing, but if you hunt around you will run across it. It does cross the outlet brook near the pond when it heads north to the AT intersection. That's where the obscure part exists.

If you are hiking in from 112 on the Gordon Pond trail be aware that the beginning of the trail looks like it is covered by "no trespassing" signs. It is not, just continue up the driveway looking road between the houses and you will be on the old road which is the official trail.

Last edited:
I hiked Kinsman Ridge Trail several years ago. Being part of the AT it is well maintained and easy to follow but a steep start from Rt. 112, especially with back packs. I opted this route to Gordon Pond because it is easier to follow the trail and a more direct route ... that was quite a concession on my part since the Gordon Pond Trailhead is across the street from perhaps my favorite restaurant in the world, Govonis, which, unfortunately, has been closed the past few years.

There should be no problems finding tentsites in the vicinity of Gordon Pond. I was there when it was comparatively dry but I can imagine that wet conditions preceding your trip could make it more challenging to find a desireable site near the pond. The pond offers a beautiful place for a group to gather on its shore and, though not dramatic, a view across the pond to Mt. Wolf is a nice place to enjoy a respite of any kind.

FWIW, a good rule of thumb is to always visit the places you choose to lead others. Not only will you be better prepared to lead the group, you can be more selective about where you take them. Returning to favorites with others has given me a special joy. ... besides, it's a good excuse for another hike.

Epic Shakedown said:
Any camping on that stretch of Kinsman Ridge?
It is pretty much along the ridgeline (does not dip down to Bog Pd as shown on older maps), there are certainly camping possibilities on the flatter sections but it may be a long way down to water