Flower Quiz #1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
I'm taking a page out of BIKEHIKESKIFISH's book and offering up a quiz. Since everyone, (well, most everyone) is longing for spring I thought it would be fun to do a flower quiz. Not all of these flowers were photographed on Mount Washington, but they can all be found there. Please pay attention to Tim's strict guidelines for guessing, listed below.

RULE: Only one guess, right or wrong, per person per 24-hour period!

MAYBE the usual quick-draw posters can hold off for a short while?

It is encouraged that if you know several then you should only answer the one you judge to be hardest. However you can say "oh I know #1,2,6,8 etc etc blah blah" Just leave them for others.

#1) A gimme.

39bmoriah53007.jpg

#2)

06washington7106.jpg

#3)

08huntington.jpg

#4)

21boottspur72206.jpg

#5)

21georgianafalls6107.jpg

#6)

31tripyramids63007.jpg

#7)

31boottspur72206.jpg

#8)

51boottspur72807.jpg

#9)

07washington7106.jpg

#10)

37washington7106.jpg

Ready...go!

KDT

Kevin, beautiful shots! Very nice to look at right now. I'm so ready!!!

The only one I don't know is #8, but I have no guess.

Great thread!

happy spring :)

Answers

Kev, I love ya, guy, but ya gotta play by the rules! :) (See above the photos.) All 3 are correct, but #'s 1 and 5 are only partially correct. Extra points to anyone who comes up with the full names. Thanks FG, it's quite the compliment from you!

KDT

Last edited:
Correct answers so far

#1 Painted Trillium

#5 Pink Lady's Slipper

#6 Bunchberry or Dwarf Cornel

#9 Labrador Tea

Nice work!

KDT

Last edited:
The only ones I don't know are 7 and 8.

I should point out that some of these go by many names.
Cornus Canadensis, for example, is called "bunchberry" or "canadian dogwood" or "creeping dogwood" or "pudding berry" or (new to me, thanks Pat T) "dwarf cornel".

If 10 isn't sheep-laurel (Kalmia angustifolia, a.k.a. lambkill), it must be its close relative K. polifolia (bog-laurel). The moss in the photo makes that likely, otherwise I'm hard-pressed to tell the two apart from photos. (In person, if it's 3 ft tall, it's angustifolia.)

(Mountain laurel, K. latifolia, has paler flowers, and K. microphylla {"alpine laurel," just to be confusing} doesn't grow in New England.)

Last edited:
Wow!

I didn't know any of those other names. :eek: I'm glad there's people more knowledgeable than me on this forum! :)

KDT

Last edited:
This is a great quiz! I always love when the spring flowers begin to show their faces along the trail :)

I am unsure of the latin names, but is #2 Star Flower and #3 Trout Lily (with bunch berry in the background)?

Rules people :)

#2 is starflower

I know it's very hard to play this way, but please follow the rules! :)

RULE: Only one guess, right or wrong, per person per 24-hour period!

MAYBE the usual quick-draw posters can hold off for a short while?

It is encouraged that if you know several then you should only answer the one you judge to be hardest. However you can say "oh I know #1,2,6,8 etc etc blah blah" Just leave them for others.

So far:

#1 Painted Trillium

#2 Starflower

#5 Pink Lady's Slipper

#6 Bunchberry or Dwarf Cornel

#9 Labrador Tea

#10 Bog Laurel

KDT

Last edited:
Ok, I grew up in Maine, not sure if I have all the "scientific" names right, but I am willing to give it a shot.

1-white flower
2-white and green flower
3-greenish flower
4-where is waldo flower
5-two hearts beat as one
6-previous year's moose dropping patch
7-tough one, gonna go "yellow" flower on this one
8-cabbage?
9-old man winter
10-photo shop

Where is the results page?

I can't vote, since I know them all, but I have never met #8 in person. Kevin, can you divulge in a PM where you found it? Nice pictures.

Latin names are the only way to go if you want to be accurate. Nailing the genus is usually easy, but getting the species right can be a devil, as nartreb illustrates. Eventually you start to learn what characteristics distinguish one from another. The Peterson field guides help with this by pointing an arrow at the unique feature(s).