Fastest route to Manchester, VT from northeast MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of hiking Mt. Equinox in Manchester, VT tomorrow. The driving directions that I pull from Mapquest and Google Maps seem to be a tad strange. Would appreciate if anyone could provide some advice as to best route to get there from the Massachusetts North Shore area.

Thanks!
Marty

Hi Marty,

I'm from Natick originally and am now in the Brattleboro, VT area.

From Natick I'd go Rte 2 to I-91 north to exit 2 in Brattleboro. Then Rte 30 to Manchester.

I do a short cut leaving Rte 2 in Erving to Northfield to Vernon to Brattleboro which would be OK if you know the way :D

Last time I was there looked like they might be working on the old hotel, hopefully to reopen again. Like to hear what it looks like after your hike.

Good luck!

Fred

MTNRUNR -
thanks so much. Will definitely take that route should we do Equinox tomorrow. Not sure why Mapquest and Google felt differently :confused:

Will include info. on the hotel in a VT TC post, assuming we go.

Best regards,
Marty

MTNRUNR said:
Hi Marty,
I do a short cut leaving Rte 2 in Erving to Northfield to Vernon to Brattleboro which would be OK if you know the way :D
Let me guess, Gulf Rd to 142?

I believe this may be a faster way to get to Brattleboro by taking rt 2 to the rt 140 N exit toward Winchendon,MA then take rt 12 north to Keene NH then rt. 9 from Keene to Brattleboro. From there rt 30 as mentioned.

brianW said:
I believe this may be a faster way to get to Brattleboro by taking rt 2 to the rt 140 N exit toward Winchendon,MA then take rt 12 north to Keene NH then rt. 9 from Keene to Brattleboro. From there rt 30 as mentioned.
That's the way we used to go when we lived in Leominster, MA. It seems quicker than going Rt. 2 to I-91, and it is certainly shorter taking the hypotenuse. The only "fly in the ointment" is getting stuck behind slow drivers on 12. Of course, this can also happen on the western end of Rt. 2 through Erving.

As a side note, I find Google maps to be handy in that you can drag the proposed route to take a route you think may be shorter or at least more favorable, and it will automatically update the directions, distances, and drive times. Starting at Salem, MA and ending in manchester, VT - Google says it's 3h 48m going via 93 to 89 to 9, etc. Any other route is longer by a few minutes with Brian's suggestion coming in at 4h 6m, but 9 miles shorter.

Smitty

That route through Keene definitely wins when going to Okemo/Ludlow, but I'm not as sure for going to Manchester and will defer. It does help that they've finished the construction of the big rotary on 101/12 (yes, they replaced an intersection with a rotary).

When in Manchester, we highly recommend Up For Breakfast, upstairs on Rte 7a in the center of town, and only 5 minutes from the parking for Equinox.

MichaelJ said:
It does help that they've finished the construction of the big rotary on 101/12 (yes, they replaced an intersection with a rotary).
And, IMHO, one of the dumbest things mankind has ever done. I've heard truck drivers hate going through there now as the approaches are too tight for the truck and trailer to stay within the lane markings.

Sams Outfitters on Rt. 12 just south of downtown Keene is always a nice place to stop on the way back from a hike. I've found the occasional good deal there.

Chugach001 said:
So how did the hike go? It is melting out very fast right now. 65f right now.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:
The hike went well. Ray and I definitely enjoyed it! Wish there were views, but it was a nice mountain and good exercise. I posted the hike in Vermont Trail Conditions: Equinox

We chose the 495 to 2 to 91 to 30 route. Took 3 hours and 5 minutes to Manchester and about 15 minutes longer on the way out, due to Sunday drivers on route 30.

We may try a different route in June, when we head up to tackle Dorset and Stratton, hopefully hiking both in the same day.

Regards,
Marty

Sounds great. From your description, you may have missed the overlook about 1/2 mile down the ridge trail to the right (NE) and the hotel 1/4 mile to the left (SW).

My opinion on travel between here and there is that they are all pretty much the same and I switch it up depending on my mood. But, like most East-West travel in New England, there is no easy way.

Thanks,
Jeff

brianW said:

I agree with brianW BUT just remember that Troy, NH tends to be a speed trap. :eek: