Adirondack Land Preservation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Good Artical in the N Y Times on page B1, the State reached a deal with International Paper for the largest land protection deal in the States history. More than a quarter million acres of privately owned land will be protected from development and opened for camping, hiking and other public uses.

Awesome!

Like or dislike George Pataki, one can at least say the guy has been closing some nice ADK land acquisition deals during his terms.

Now if we could just get those industrial giants and their political cronies to stop creating acid rain that ruins our nice forests and waterways...

Whoops, there I go again jumping on the soapbax...I gotta stop!

when someone finds the updated map of the Parks private, public and easement lands please post a link.

with all these acquisistions I need to get an update.

Thanks in advance,
Darrel
ADacKR

can't wait to hit some back ass ponds and other wilderness areas.....

The map that was listed with the artical (not very helpful) showed many of the areas and they were mostly on the outter edges of the park. Several were between the Northway and upper Lake George and north.

ADackR said:
when someone finds the updated map of the Parks private, public and easement lands please post a link.

with all these acquisistions I need to get an update.

Thanks in advance,
Darrel
ADacKR

can't wait to hit some back ass ponds and other wilderness areas.....

Found this map off of the DEC web site.

map

Last edited:
My calculator tells me the latest deal covers nearly 400 square miles. That's a bunch of ground!

These conservation easement deals are a real boon to the cause of open space preservation and watershed protection. If they also conserve jobs and expand recreational opportunities, it's hard to imagine a more enlightened practice.

G.