Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the time, how about the classic Wittenburg, Cornell, Slide hike? It's about 10 miles, lots of great views, and a few scrambles.

Short on time? Then try Westkill. Fairly easy hike and not too far if you hike up and back to the car. Awesome views from the Buckridge lookout.

Want something more challenging? Then do a section of the Devil's Path. Plenty of rugged terrain and many scrambles requiring the use of hands (and trying to find a handhold). Indian Head is a lot of fun, as is Twin and Sugarloaf and there are many options along the route for shorter or longer hikes.

I can think of many more, but those are among my favorites.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
This will be a great weekend for Hunter also. I can't decide wheter to do that with a friend, or head out to the Wittenburg area to meet anothe VFTT'er for the first time.
Decisions, decisions, I am soo stressed......not.
Tom

You might want to review some online trail maps and descriptions at the Catskill Guide website. Also there was a recent first Catskill hike that you might want to review. Another nice introductory Catskill hike is the Giant Ledge and Panther. An introductory backpack would be the Blackhead Range (Thomas Cole, Black Dome, and Blackhead) with Windham High peak and the two smaller peaks between them Acra Point and Burnt Knob.

daxs-

I'm heading to Terrace Mnt. Lean to later today with the intent to go over Cornell & Wittenberg on Saturday. I have it in my mind to bushwack around the 3500' line on Slide to see if Slide's slide is noticeable to any extent- if I have the time. Stop by if you will, it's a good area to start with the Catskills.

The Escarpment Trail is also a good place to start.

Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf section of the Devils Path is also good.

As is Katerskills High Peak from Palenville. Waterfalls....

And Daxs,
I expect to be meeting Warren Saturday morning to join him. I'll be at the Woodland Valley trailhead at about 6:30am if you want to join me for the walk in.
Tom

My buddy Maddy and I are bushwhacking up Wittenberg from Moonhaw Sat.,It would be nice to see some of you folks on top.

Sounds like a party brewing. I'll bring some extra chocolate.
Ralph, where do you park on Moonhaw?
Tom
(I think you and I have met up on Ashokan High Point before, do you know Bill Keating?)

Hi Tom,
I know Bill quite well.I park at the pillars on Moon haw Rd.I do believe we have met on High Point.We should be at the lookout between 10 a.m. and 11:00 a.m..
See ya,
Ralph

The Wittenberg cornell Slide

Are any of you doing the loop back across Phoenicia East Branch to Woodland Valley?
Or are you spotting a car at the slide trailhead.
I think you all may be talking me into joining up with you since I have not met any one from this site.
Tom 6:30 might be too early to meet for me I drive up in the morning from LI.
Maybe I'll see on the trail.

ajtiv,
My plans are to leave the Woodland valley trail head as close to 6:30am as possible. (this may in reality be 7am) and hike to the terrace leanto trail. If I don't see a note from Warren there, I will hike to the leanto. If I do see a note, I'll head up to the Wittenberg and try(?) to catch up with him. (I'll have a little green plymouth sedan, my wife is taking my truck for the day:mad: )
We are going to try to 'meet' on FRS channel 12 if you have one of these radios. This is a pretty loose plan, I'm very interested to see how much of it will work.
This weekend is supposed to be cooler than it has been for the last week (20's on Sat. night.) so be prepared.
Tom

wittenberg and Cornell

Tom,
I hope to see you and or catch up with you and Warren.
I do have a radio and will tune in
thanks for the update
Al

Al,
My bag is packed, I'm raring to go. I "MAY" leave the house earlier and try to join Warren for breakfast. This would put me at the trailhead before 6 I think. If I do that, we should be coming out to the trail junction at a reasonable time to meet you. Any idea what time you might hit the trail?
Peakbagr,
Sorry I didn't know youse guys were doing Indian head earlier, I might have leaned in that direction. I have some ghosts I need to exorcise from my soul and doing the loop again is the only way to do it. Maybe next month.
Everyone have a great day on the trails this weekend,

Tom

Well we had a great day. It could not have been nicer sitting up there with that view and good company.
Daxs: What did you end up doing?
AJ: by any chance was that you I passed with another guy headed toward the shelter at around 3-4pm? He had said he wasn't sure where they were staying that night. It just dawned on me the it might have been you.
Ralph, thanks for all the local info. I'll have to get you to show me where you start that bushwhack up between Cornell and the Wittenberg.
I've never spent that much time loafing on a peak (4 hours!), and I've never seen that many people on a peak either. I bet we saw at least 45 people.
Peakbagr: We waved to you from the peak, did you see us?
Tom

Last edited:
I ended up mountain biking on sat afternoon at a place in south jersey. A former co worker's theory on off trail riding was - we don't leave until we bleed once again held tru. I have the cuts, scrapes and bruises to prove it. I just hope i do not get poison ivy. It was all over the place i went riding ( and crashing)