Backpacker magazine article on Cave Dog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
I was at the town library a couple hours ago and saw the latest issue of Backpacker magazine on display. There's an article inside, written by Michael Lanza, on Cave Dog, and Tim Seaver gets a mention, too.

There's also a chart showing current speed records and the holders thereof for several subjects of interest to VFTT members, like the Adirondack 46, the White Mountain 48, the Appalachian Trail, etc., plus one or two I hadn't heard of before. (The Scottish Munros? Sounds interesting — 384 3000-foot mountains which need to be hiked, cycled, and swum. The record for completing them, by the way, is 48 days 12 hours, only eight hours 11 minutes less time than the AT record.)

I realize now they didn't include Flyin' Brian Robinson's trifecta*. Also, among the "previous record holders," they mentioned only one Fitch brother, not both.

*Probably not the correct word to describe Robinson's feat, but I think you know what I mean.

Last edited:
There was a great presentation at last October's ALDHA gathering by Chris Townsend (author of the Backpacker's Handbook) about hiking all the peaks in the Scottish highlands. I think 384 sounds right. He got a couple of climbers to help him on just one pinnacle which was a vertical slab of a couple of hundred feet. I just bet someone of VFTT would know the name of that one (not me). Great pictures and great story.

A Munro is a peak with 100 m (328') of prominence. OTOH a Marylin (more popular) is a peak with 150 m (492') of prominence. Don't ask me why it's Munro and not Monroe. Someone here probably knows that too! ;)

Pb

Last edited: