Black flies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowmo68

Reaction score
Saw my first black flies yesterday on a bike ride in Kennebunk, they were not biting yet. Has anyone seen blackflies in the mountains yet? Seems to be a week or 2 early for them.

I had some black flies bothering me near the bottom of Red Hill this afternoon. No bites, but they were hovering around my head.

Black flies in evidence on East Rattlesnake yesterday..not bites just buzzing..left the sunglasses on....

obviously they haven't tasted blood yet...

At Monadnock

Lot's of blackflies at Monadnock: swarming but not biting as of today (Sunday, 4/27).

Saw some yesterday on the Breakheart Trail in R.I. Probably not as bad as in N.H. but enough to be bothersome.

I was swarmed by blackflies Sat. where I parked at the 2-car pull-over on Jenkins Road in Andover, Mass., for the Bay Circuit Trail. (It's where the BCT used to cross, but the Trail has been moved 50 yards to the north.) They didn't seem to be biting, but since I quickly sprayed myself, maybe they didn't have a chance. Then, 12 miles with no bugs, even though much of that was swamp and wetlands. When I finally got back to my car, they were still swarming.

Amicus said:
I was swarmed by blackflies Sat. where I parked at the 2-car pull-over on Jenkins Road in Andover, Mass., for the Bay Circuit Trail. (It's where the BCT used to cross, but the Trail has been moved 50 yards to the north.) They didn't seem to be biting, but since I quickly sprayed myself, maybe they didn't have a chance. Then, 12 miles with no bugs, even though much of that was swamp and wetlands. When I finally got back to my car, they were still swarming.

I think in the movie business they call this a 'Preview for Coming Attractions'

This year could be a doozy!