Cornell and Friday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Hi everyone -

Just wondering - is there a reason why I've never heard of anyone doing Friday from Cornell or vice versa? Looking at maps the summits look fairly close and not too intense in terms of elevation change. Are there terrain issues that make it a bad idea?

Thanks,
Halia

It has and can be done. I have done the traverse a few times. The primary challenge is the thickness of the growth. It is probably the thickest spruce and balsam you will find in the Catskills, and rivals anything the Adirondacks can throw in your path.

There is a 3655' false summit of Cornell on the way to Friday. It actually has two summits, and it is known derisively as Dink. I am of the opinion that the growth is not quite as thick if you stay on the west side of the ridge and bypass the summits of Dink. Others hikers may have differing opinions.

Plan on slow progress, no more than one mile per hour. The snow should be just about gone, so spruce traps should not be much of an issue currently. Have everything securely tied down on your pack. Those confiscating conifers are crooks, everyone of them. You might want to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants for protection.

Mark Schaefer said:
I am of the opinion that the growth is not quite as thick if you stay on the west side of the ridge and bypass the summits of Dink. Others hikers may have differing opinions.

This is one of those situations that follows the 50 foot rule. Meaning one person can find a beautiful route while 50 feet to one side or another is dense growth.

I did this travese a few times. When I went on the west side, I found some very dense growth. Another time, just below the top of the ridge on the east side I found a faint herd path.

Mark Schaefer said:
Those confiscating conifers are crooks, everyone of them.

I love that line! :D

Very true, the spruce stole my sunglasses on Rocky, and the Sawtooths (ADKs) swiped an entire Nalgene bottle out of it's pocket! Well, the jokes on the Sawtooths ......... let's just see what the bisphenol A does to their needles! :p

I've done Friday from Cornell. It was the thickest stuff I've ever whacked through. I wound up on steep cliffs on the east side and had to head back up to come down in a different area. It was a very slow journey out and back!

Thanks!

Thanks so much everyone! That makes a ton of sense. I had heard that the summit of Rocky was the densest in the area, but it sounds like the whole area is "of a piece."

Coming up from the Neversink, and doing the 4 bushwacks (Friday first, Lone last) is the option I see many hikers choose. All the same "warnings"?

In terms of either nettles or bugs, does it make sense to try to get out there soon - before everything leafs out?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the knowledge and experience!

Halia

halia and flammeus said:
Coming up from the Neversink, and doing the 4 bushwacks (Friday first, Lone last) is the option I see many hikers choose. All the same "warnings"?

In terms of either nettles or bugs, does it make sense to try to get out there soon - before everything leafs out?
There was no snow, no biting bugs, no nettles, no briars, no leaves, just a great hike up to Lone and Rocky yesterday! :D

Tom Rankin said:
There was no snow, no biting bugs, no nettles, no briars, no leaves, just a great hike up to Lone and Rocky yesterday! :D

So this should be perfect timing for Matt's traverse across that ridge!

Thanks again!

Thanks again everyone. Your input is, as always, very helpful.

The question started out because I am a map reading addict, and have been pondering over Dink and the distances and wondering why the other route seemed more popular. You have thoroughly answered my question. Many thanks.

Our hike will have to wait a while - Flammeus is coming back from knee surgery in March. He is doing great, but someone has to be sensible (I think...). So we're sticking to single summits and trails until ... we can bear it no longer :)

Peace out, y'all -
Halia