Hikes with lake views?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
Ok, two part question.

I am looking at hiking the Dak's this summer, since i have hiked most of the NH peaks that I care to hike. What are the best 4k mountains to climb with nice lake views?

Also, do you need bear canisters in the daks? I have never overnighted with one, but I do not want to end up like that dude on "Grizzly Man".

Colvin, Santanoni, Giant, (Ampersand..ok, not a 4k...), Whiteface, Marcy,

My pick would be Santanoni as it has a pretty expansive view and back towards the lakes by Upper Works, but many peaks have lake views...

Is there a peak that doesn't have a lake view? :)

Jay

king tut said:
Also, do you need bear canisters in the daks? I have never overnighted with one, but I do not want to end up like that dude on "Grizzly Man".

If you want to *eat* the food you bring, use a cannister!! No joke!
They rent them at the HPIC.

:D

Sawteeth via Scenic Route over Pyramid, Gothics, down past Beaver Falls, a trek through Avalanche Pass and around Lake Colden....

I know you asked for 4K views but if you ever feel like slummin, Tongue Mountain, Black Mountain and Buck Mountain in the Lake George region offer tremendous views of the Lake.

king tut said:
Ok, two part question.

I am looking at hiking the Dak's this summer, since i have hiked most of the NH peaks that I care to hike. What are the best 4k mountains to climb with nice lake views?
".
I don't know if you could beat the Marcy Dam/Avalanche Lake hike. From there you can loop back in either direction. I say I don't know because I've done the Marcy Dam, Marcy, Avalanche, Algonquin thing about a dozen times in the last 30 years and precious little else in the 'dacks. :eek:

Emmons, on the right day - one of the few (only?) to see Long Lake. Like many ADK hikes, you have the added pleasure of hiking through boot-sucking mud getting there for the view! :D

Come on over, the mud's fine.

Colvin.

And Blake, too. You continue past Blake on the Pinnacle Ridge trail for about 10-20 minutes (more like 10) and there will be a sign pointing uphill towards your right. It's a 30 second climb max. and you come out on a rock that looks straight down to Upper Ausable Lake and across at the Upper Great Range.

Definitely worth the detour.

Going thru Avalanche Lake is the biggest no brainer (Well, besides everyone not liking JayH.) hike to combine or just do on its own merit.

And Colvin's small summit is a nice vantage point.

Oh my, looks like winter is truly over, Spongebob has come out of hibernation! :p

Jay

I endorse these recommendations:

* Mt. Colden's summit. The view down into Avalanche Lake, Lake Colden and Flowed Lands is outstanding. Other lakes are in sight, too.

* The Dix range views out across Elk Lake.

* The incredible lake view from the summit of Whiteface.

There are others. These will get you well started.

G.