Marshall/Cliff/Redfield

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
Has anyone done this combo? I am planning out my final push for my 46 and need these three. It seems to make sense to plan these three togther. Is it possible to hike Marshall and then push onto the Uphill lean to in one day? From that leanto, is it possible to get Cliff and Redfield in one day? I would plan two nights out hiking back to the car on day three. I am not a snail on the trail but I am not a speed demon either.

If anyone is interested in hiking this combo with me, let me know. I would welcome the company. I am also planning the Dix and Seward Range (less Seymour) if anyone is intersted in any of those.

I finished a Redfield, it was nice. Leave your full pack at Coldon Dam, and day pack it up Marshall. Then climb away to Uphill. Not an easy day, but a doable day. Why not Camp near the dam in those sites and save carring the full pack up to uphill. Then just day pack it to Cliff and Redfield. Then camp a second night before heading out to the car. That's what I would do, then again I hate to carry a full pack for mor than 5-6 miles at a stretch.

I like peak_bgr's advice. There are tons of sites in the vicinity of Colden.

One alternative, since I hate backtracking at all would be: hike in from Upper Works to the trailhead of Marshall, drop your full pack behind the scrubby pine trees there (plenty of cover...), do Marshall, head to the dam on Colden for the overnight. Then proceed as planned, doing Cliff and Redfield.

Both Redfield and Marshall were very cool trails, challenging, but beautiful. (Haven't done Cliff yet, that's coming this summer...)

thanks for the advice. I plan on hiking in on a Friday so I assume i could get a lean to but will take a tent. Are the bears a problem at the far end of Colden? I will prob need a bear proof container. I am planning this hike for the beginning of Aug - 8/9-8/11 if anyone is interested.

Yes, the bears are a problem at that end of Colden. There is at least one cable that I know of on the same side of the river as the dam, about 100 yards up the trail (if I remember right...) I would save the hassle and just carry a bear canister, cheap rental.

I think there are only a couple of leantos in the immediate vicinity of the dam, and I wouldn't count on getting one unless you get there very very early on a friday. There are several tent sites that are very nice, though

I might be doing Algonquin, Wright and Iroquois that weekend, I'll wave to you.

Sounds like a great trip. I also finished my 46 on Redfield, that trip included Gray instead of Marshall. If the weather cooperates and your food is protected, you'll have an excellent time completing your 46.

My 2 Cents.

Get a Bear container. They cost 75 bux, save the hassle of having to hang a bear bag, and can save more money then they cost in food. 2 years ago the bears got our 5 day cache in Colden while we were frozen in fear in our tents. I would scare them off now, but I don't have to worry about it, as I have a container.

-percious

Hi Dax's -
Those 3 were my second groups of peaks after the Sewards (I did many of the trailless peaks first). This might be helpfiul info:

We BP'd into Flowed Lands (FL) on day one via Tahawus. Day one was Friday mid-day to make sure we got a site.

Here are times from my notes to Grace,

We climbed Redfield and Cliff on Saturday.
Times were - 6 hours from FL to Redfield and finishing at Uphill L/T and then 4 hours from Uphill L/T to Cliff and back to FL. 10 hours total.

We then climbed Marshall very early on Sunday 2:15 to the top and 1:30 back down and got back to camp by late morning, had lunch broke camp and made it back to the Tahawus lot by early afternoon and then drove home.

Hope this helps
Rick

depends when you want to do it (now or in a few weeks) - i was up in the whites this weekend but i am sure the adirondacks are the same (as they usually are in may) - there is soft gooshy snow everywhere up high - you can sometimes find a solid ridge in the middle of the trail to walk on but it will break through in many places - i used my snowshoes quite a bit this weekend - many times you have bare ground and then you are on 3 feet of snow again - - - in a few weeks the snow will be gone and hiking will be easier (just get it done before the black flies come out) - cliff and redfield are do-able as a day hike in one day, so if you are camping in there it is even more do-able in a day.

Not doing these mountains until July. My schedule and the black flies will not let me get to the dacks until then. I may be doing some catskill day hikes until then.

the first 2 weeks of july could be bad with the black flies up on top - bring a head net with you.

Need em' too

Daxs,

We seem to have a similar list left. Me and my crew (family) will be hitting those exact peaks this July. We were actually thinking of one of the exact options mentioned above (only adding Skylight and Gray on third day).

Let us know when your headed up, maybe we'll cross paths.

peak_bgr said:
I finished a Redfield, it was nice. Leave your full pack at Coldon Dam, and day pack it up Marshall. .

I finished on Marshall (look for the view spot. you can see almost all of the southern 'adks. Email me for more info)
You can actually take your fullpack about .5 up the trail if i remember because it's not that bad at first and i'd trust leaving it on the herd path more than by colden dam.

MMB
adk 46R 5048