Eustis, Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
I'm looking for some suggestions on places to stay in or near Eustis, Maine.

Cathedral Pines Campgroup opens May 15th (might stay there).

Does anyone know the names of hotels or B&Bs near Cathedral Pines? I'm looking for a good place to stay, reasonable price and it has to have a bar.....

Thanks.

I've stayed at the Spillover Motel a couple times and always enjoyed it. Not the cheapest in the area but very nice place to shower and rest. Just up the road is a nice restaurant called Mainely Yours that has good food. I didn't visit any bars but I'm sure others will have that info for you. Maine is a wonderful place to hike!!

donna said:
I'm looking for a good place to stay, reasonable price and it has to have a bar.....

Now that's my kind of hiker...

Donna,

try the White Wolf. They have some rooms upstairs and they certianly have a bar. As previously alluded to on this site, the waitresses wear leather aprons, but if you are okay with that, it's a decent place....

the management is quite friendly besides. they are in Stratton, just a few minutes from Eustis.

Give 'em a call. 207-246-2922
They have a website

good luck
spencer

Cathedral Pines is a lovely campground if you decide to camp. I'd recommend one of the lake side sites if they're available.

For a 6 Pack weekend (as in Western Maine NE100 highest), nothing like the Cathedral Pines Campground. I suspect that at least one night some of the folks might prefer to rough it near Wiggle Brook. For me, it's definitely the Pines.

BTW, last year when we checked in we asked about setting up more than one tent on a site (backpacking tents). They allowed us to set up 3 tents for the single site rate. They do like to limit the cars at each site though, and have overflow parking (we still had 3 cars)

I can help you out if you want more info on Cathedral Pines

As for bars, Arm and I did the barhop of Eustis one evening: Kern's and Trail's End.

Last edited:
Leather apron or not, I'd still go back to the White Wolf but I've never stayed there, opting for Cathedral Pine instead. The leather apron only suggests you're going to be tortured by the service .... and it feels ohhhhhh sooooooo gooooood when the drinks and food finally arrive.

Not to trash on the White Wolf, but we found it a bit pricy for what you get (lodging) this winter. Actually, the restaurant was surprisingly expensive too -- a bit of a disappointment given the Gathering history.

I could not believe how expensive the Spillover was for a ski weekend -- Fort North Face fit the bill for a lot cheaper.

Cathedral Pines rocks, one of the nicest commercial (town operated) cgs. No bar, but the Pines Market is just around the corner.

Cathedral Pines

Donna,

I have found the pint service at White Wolf to be excellent, but maybe I have just been lucky.

Did you get my e-mail a while ago suggesting tent sites #67, #69 and #70? They are all right on the North Branch of the Dead, wicked nice.

And bicycle riding after dark is strictly prohibited!

I second the Widow's Walk, "cantdog". I've stayed there a few times while climbing area peaks. They're open year round, or have been in the past. The accomodations are clean, but not fancy .... but then again neither is the price .... probably the best non-camping buy in that area. As for the bars, they are just a short walk around the corner .... take your pick.

A Great Big Thanks

Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I now have lots of places to check out.

Hope to see you on the trails.

but at least you get served (unlike the supper places in Gorham, NH).
I think the Friday night supper group from G6 would disagree with this statement...

Yeah, as I recall there was some dust collecting on our placemats while we waited for dinner (what did it take? more than 1 hour?) I forget - it took too long. Of course, we also were pretty parched by the time they served our drinks. Come to think of it, didn't Sherpa K get the only good service there?

From the time we sat down

at the White Wolf it took about an hour before she took our drink orders and about another 1/2 hour for the wine to age and the beer to brew. When she came to take our orders a few of us offered her some not too subtle remarks, but she was still, as someone said, completely clueless.

Breakfast at Mainly Yours was a real pleasure. The waitress handled the 20 or so of us as well as could be expected. I mentioned to her how much better we were served there than at the White Wolf. She said, "I know, I used to work there."

As a fitting tribute to the person traveling the longest distance (ie. taking the longest time) to a Gathering, I propose that the honoree be inducted formally into the Order of the Leather Apron. Since it took me 10 hours to get to Eustis, I just inducted myself.

teejay

I found the Spillover in September pre-foliage & not ski season to be fairly reasonable & in good condition. Check their rates to see what non-ski seaon goes for.

As everyone else said, Cathedral Pines may be the best campground going.

Nadine, my sincerest apologies. How could I have forgotten that? (oh yeah, no pictures ;)) As I recall, you were our tour guide!

I guess my reputation preceeds me. Tramper Al and I did manage to get a tall Carrabassett Brown Ale within 30 seconds of sitting at the White Wolf, while the rest of the VFTT crowd eyed us incredulously. I believe that our stature in VFTT lore grew on that day :) Of course, no one can touch HarryK's Gold Member status from that Gathering weekend!

Donna, so when are we going?