Tragedy in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes - I will be sure to NOT show this to my wife.

Such a tragedy. What a freak accident.

My condolences to her family and friends.

I think this is the second time in 2 years a boulder has killed someone. What a terrible thing, I wonder what made it come down like that..? -Mattl

Boulders fall all the time. It's gravity at work. Terrible tragedy and a case of the wrong place in the wrong time.

I recall a somewhat similar incident a few years ago when a tree fell on a young child on the Lonesome Lake Trail. Unreal.

My deepest sympathies. Hiking with her family, too. It's so sad that this should happen just when a person is passing by on the trail.

I also saw the F&G truck fly by me around 4:10. I feel so sad for the family who had to witness the death of a loved one.

Mattl said:
What a terrible thing, I wonder what made it come down like that..?
Frost cracking is a major agent in loosening rock. Rock climbers know that there is more loose rock at mountain climbing areas (such as Cannon) in the early spring than later in the season (after much of the loose stuff has fallen or been intentionally pushed off).

One can often see frost-split boulders along a trail.

In this case, it sounds like it was just bad luck--being in the wrong place at the wrong time. (The reports say nothing about anyone being on or near the boulder just before it fell. Humans are often the "straw that breaks the camel's back" in initiating rockfall or avalanches that result in injuries.)

Doug

Last edited:
Very sad...

I used to call it "Nature's Crosshairs", but I have to admit, I think about it a lot more these days... bouldering and "caving" with my kids in places like Joshua Tree, I can't help but remember I am 40 miles from the San Andreas Fault, and think how awful it would be if one of the giant boulders we're clambering on or under were to suddenly shift and drop. Even here in geologically 'stable' New England, tremblers and slides do happen. You don't stay home because of the risk, but it's always there in the background.

My heart goes out to this woman and her family.

MadRiver said:
I also saw the F&G truck fly by me around 4:10. I feel so sad for the family who had to witness the death of a loved one.

Good grief, and being on the trail with her while waiting for F&G! (from the Union Leader article, it looks like ti was as least an hour before someone was able to reach the trailhead and call for help).

I can't imagine a more helpless, horrible feeling :(

My condolences to her loved ones.

Mattl said:
I think this is the second time in 2 years a boulder has killed someone. What a terrible thing, I wonder what made it come down like that..? -Mattl

Maybe you're thinking of this other "freak accident" last October, death by large log on Boulder Loop Tr.

Very sad, I guess you just can't ever let your guard down. Tough to do when enjoying a beautiful falls like Cloudland.

Last edited:
Official F&G press release says she was hiking with her husband, brother-in-law and sister-in-law. This is heartbreaking.

DrewKnight said:
. Even here in geologically 'stable' New England, tremblers and slides do happen. You don't stay home because of the risk, but it's always there in the background.
Yeah, even here there's a fault line that runs from Buffalo to Plattsburgh. I remember feeling the earthquake that happened in northern New York when I was living in southern New Hampshire. It was sometime around 2002, 2003? I didn't think of cracks and frosts in cliffs and boulders. I see what it can do to the roads out here. What a terrible freak accident indeed. :(

I have lost friends and family, but never when by their side, how horrible, I just can't imagine the pain, and when you are out enjoying life too. Thoughts are prayers are with them..........

DougPaul said:
Frost cracking is a major agent in loosening rock. Rock climbers know that there is more loose rock at mountain climbing areas (such as Cannon) in the early spring than later in the season (after much of the loose stuff has fallen or been intentionally pushed off).
It was just over 5 years ago that similar action brought down the Old Man of the Mountain, fortunately nobody was underneath :)