spring Overnight in kinsman area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjbjette

Reaction score
Hey all, I am trying to plan an overnight trip to north kinsman via the lonsome lake trail and the fishin jimmy trail. Hopefully staying at the kinsman pond campsite, and heading over to cannon on the way back to lafayette. I'm trying to get an Idea of how much I need to pack and what my physical limits are before I try to hike to the bonds or up washington via the crawford trail later in the week.
Should I expect snow and ice after June 1?

Thanks for the help!

-Kevin

Not this year.
From what I've seen on the Hancocks, the Osceolas, and the Moriah area, all will be melted by June 1.

MWO website has a Backcountry weather and trail conditions and the Lonesome lake hut is already reporting 0 snow left. Still some ice and snow on Fishin Jimmy but in a month that will be gone. That area on the ridge is likely to be very muddy though.
Bring extra dry socks!:) It's a great hike, lots of ups and downs if you go over to Cannon Mountain.

My wife and I did this same trip as our first backpack of the season two or three years ago. It's a good trip to remind you that you haven't been backpacking yet! Keep using those stairs at work! Some climbing on Fishin' Jimmy, the Cannonballs are rugged, and the PUDs on the Kinsman Ridge trail will probably make you grumble, but it's a great trip.

Kinsman Pond is one my favorite spots to stay.

Have fun!

Here is a trip report from last year at roughly the same time. There was a group of Boy Scouts that filled up the shelter and enough other groups to fill all the other platforms. One group bunked in with the caretaker, another took an overflow spot. So, if you are going on a Saturday night, start early.

-dave-