Presidential Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakster

Reaction score
A friend and I are thinking about doing the Presidential Traverse at the end of June. We are middle-aged guys from upstate NY in good shape, but the hiking around here pales in comparison to the Whites and we won't get much "hands on" training. We both hiked small portions of these mountains before, a long time ago.

Despite a lot of research and planning, we haven't found any good "bail out" points toward the latter southern part of the traverse when we would be the most tired.

How risky of a trip is the traverse? Would you recommend that we go for the trip?

Thanks!

Not sure what your questions are.

Given decent weather there is basically no risk of anything serious; with modern weather forecasting "unexpected" storms are rare. Definitely call it off if there is a credible threat of serious weather.

Can you do it? I do not know you, hence cannot say anything intelligent about your ability. That said, I have the impression that the two of you do little "real" hiking (rocky terrain, 4,000+ foot climbs). What do you mean by "in good shape"? Running on the flat is vastly different from hiking with serious elevation gain.

I suggest that you look at Presidential Traverse FAQ, you will find the information you need to make a rational decision.

Lots of bailouts on the S half: Ammo Ravine Tr, Edmands Path, Crawford Path. While it would be nice to have a third car at the RR base station, you can walk the road to a car at Crawford Path trailhead.

Bailing out to the Great Gulf (N half) or the Dry River Valley is not a good idea. The trails are long, the regions remote, and the bridge over the Dry River is out.

Mohamed Ellozy has an FAQ on the (summer) Prezzie traverse: http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/presidential-traverse.html and Chauvin Guides has a guide to a winter Prezzie traverse: http://chauvinguides.com/PresiTraverse/presiguide.htm.

Doug

Peakster said:
We are middle-aged guys from upstate NY in good shape, but the hiking around here pales in comparison to the Whites and we won't get much "hands on" training.

Upstate meaning not the Adirondacks I'm assuming? I think the Whites pale in comparison to the Adirondacks! :) One of biggies on the Traverse is the ROCKS, and you don't get much relief from them from Mt. Madison all the way to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. Alot of ankle twisting opportunites that really beat up your feet, ankles and knees.

I agree with DP, lots of bailouts on the southern half.

It's all about the weather once you are above treeline regarding whether it's 'risky' or not.

Just to emphasize a couple of points - if you must bail, then bail to the WEST. Most traverses are done N->S, starting at Appalachia, as that gets the toughest section done first, and therefore you'd most likely hit the Jefferson Notch Road or Crawford. They're really the same road, but the name changes when it crosses the road leading into the Cog RR. Don't start from Pine Bend Brook on the very northern end - that will knock the stuffing out of you before you start.

As for extra car spot - the Ammo trailhead. That means if you bail early you can come down Jewell to your car, or about 2/3's thru the game at the Lakes Hut and bail down Ammo trail. As Doug pointed out, you could also bail at Edmands Path just before Eisenhower and walk back to your car. If you do that however, keep in mind the roadwalk back is mostly UPHILL - not steep, but a definite grade.

How bout doing it as a two day traverse the first time and camping somewhere in the middle? That would give you a good idea what your body can handle before you bite off more than you can chew. You can only die once, but last time I checked, that's all it takes. I wouldn't recommend pushing it beyond your limits/the weather and calling a helicopter for a rescue. That tends to tick off people reading internet sites...

I'd guess that a two-day traverse is actually harder than a one-day - you'd carry a ton of extra gear, and still do most of your hiking one day or the other: no good camping options in the middle.

I second the opinion that the 'Dacks are generally tougher than the Whites.

If you're worried about being tired at the end, plan on doing the "lesser traverse" - finish on Crawford Path, not Webster Cliff Trail. Crawford Path is a nice and gentle descent, and in general everything south of Washington is much easier than what came before, but Webster Cliff trail is steep enough to be a royal pain if you're tired and it's dark.

Last edited:
nartreb said:
I'd guess that a two-day traverse is actually harder than a one-day - you'd carry a ton of extra gear, and still do most of your hiking one day or the other: no good camping options in the middle.
I concur wholeheartedly. Once the snow is gone (which it almost is), no camping above treeline is allowed. If you really want to make sure to "take it easy" during the traverse then book a couple of bunks at Lakes of the Clouds Hut. This way you can take two days, but you don't have to carry an overnight backpack - just a sleeping bag.

**not a big fan of full service huts and not sure why someone wouldn't want to carry 45-50lbs up and down a bunch of mountains, but that's just me :p **

Huts

Don't even need the sleeping bag, they'll give you blankets. Personally, I'd rather sleep on a rock, but that's just me. :)

KDT

This is our Plan...

We are doing the "short" version (down the Crawford Path) on June 21st. The plan is to stay at Dolly Copp and on the way up spot a car at the Ammo parking lot and at the base of the Crawford Path. Saturday we'll head up the Daniel Webster Trail. Saturday, when we are done, we'll go back to Dolly Copp then head home Sunday morning. We'll only have the two cars spotted but as was said previously, having a car at the Ammo parking lot gives you some options.

Wanna join us? We're loud and uncouth but kind to animals. Most animals anyway...

Minimal Traverse

We plan on doing the short version too, down the Crawford path, but on June 28. It's at least an 8-hour drive for us from Rochester NY, so we cannot spot any additional cars.

We are both aspiring 46ers having done about 1/2 of the 4000+ foot peaks in the Adirondacks. But that hiking was a few years ago, before kids.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'll take a look at some of the suggested bailout points.

Spotting a car at Crawford Path TH and starting from Appalachia may be your best bet. There are escape routes from the northern part which lead back to Appalachia and the escape routes from the southern part (plus Jewel Tr) all lead to Crawford TH or the Mt Clinton Rd which will take you to Crawford TH.

Watch the weather and be prepared to abort if it doesn't cooperate.

Get an early start and bring headlamps...

Doug

What's middle age?

Also heading there in June, so far, I'm the youngster at 46. Start early & if the weather is good, you should be fine.

My 3rd attempt, (first 2 successful, one at two huts back in 1995 with Mom & with too much gear & one day in 2006) I think the one day is the way to go.

Peakster-
I just noticed you're from Fairport. We've got a group planning a Presi Traverse on 6/21, including a couple of AARP members from the Rochester area (I'm 54 and Little Rickie is in the same ballpark). I haven't actually sat down to look at the map in any detail yet, but the site DougPaul gave you is very helpful for planning purposes.

Oldsmores said:
Peakster-
I just noticed you're from Fairport. We've got a group planning a Presi Traverse on 6/21, including a couple of AARP members from the Rochester area (I'm 54 and Little Rickie is in the same ballpark).

a couple of AARP members ...Hay, I resemble that.

I live in Fairport & Oldsmores isn't that far away. We plan on hiking the Pres on the third weekend of June, would you like to join us for the day?

Rickie

ps I'll be 56 this year and feel everyone of those years when I get out of bed in the morning.

June 14th, as of right now, plan is to stay in Gorham on 6/13 & start before sunrise on the 14th.

DougPaul said:
starting from Appalachia may be your best bet. There are escape routes from the northern part which lead back to Appalachia
I agree with this advice. You have an easier trail up and better early bailouts than starting up Daniel Webster or Pine Bend Brook [sic - Pine Link?]

I bailed down Edmands Path due to weather and did the road walk to Crawford, actually a longer hike than continuing down Crawford but much safer on wet rocks