Old Bridle Path conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm ... interesting ...

Opened file containing OBP in MapSource, then viewed it in Google Earth. Very clear that the top half of the OBP is on a narrow south facing ridge, which may explain why it is melted early (assuming it really is).

Of course, I should have figured that out from the topo, but Google Earth shows it a lot more clearly.

The whole report showed that the OBP was pretty clear (that's been my experience in other years early in the sping/summer season - early mid-May) the groupd decided to skip Falling Waters & head over to Liberty. They regretted heading to Liberty.

As some may have expected high wooded ridges will keep snow the longest. So Franconia Ridge between Liberty & little Haystack, the Twinway between S. Twin & Guyot, Wildcat Ridge (my planned trip in 9 days if no much snow will go elsewhere), Willey Range between Willey & Field, Signal Ridge, above Sigmal Ridge & some spots of Garfield Ridge & likely Rollins (lower but denser tree growth) are going to hold snow longer.

Thanks for the info. I'm spending Saturday night at Greenleaf so it is nice to know that I do not need snowshoes or crampons.