Early June Vermont Peaks: 3ks and CHPs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
As you may have noticed, I have been gathering information on certain Vermont peaks. I have come up with an itinerary and would love to have some company. Meo will be joining me on day 2. I've picked the week after Memorial Day since I will be in Burlington that weekend to run a marathon. This will be my way of recovering :D.

Check this thread for the discussion.

These peaks will be of interest to:
1) those doing the Vermont 3Ks
2) those doing high prominence peaks (Fifty Finest)
3) County Highpointers
4) Everyone else who enjoys black flies ;)!

Schedule:

Tuesday June 1st: Worcester range: , DeLorme Atlas page 46, Worcester map. I'll shoot for the whole range since I'll have the whole day.

Wednesday June 2nd: Cold Hollow:, DeLorme Atlas page 52, Cold Hollow map. A bushwhack in a nice area up north.

Thursday June 3rd: Gore:, DeLorme Atlas page 55, Gore map. Maybe add some surrounding peaks. Way in the northeast corner.

Maybe late Thursday or early Friday morning: East:, DeLorme Atlas page 49, East map. A walk on an old road to a long defunct radar installation.

Friday June 4th: County Highpoints Butterfield and Signal:, DeLorme Atlas page 41, Signal map. Nice bushwhacks of the two toughest Vermont CHPs.

County Highpointers may want to add East to the two others, but driving and/or schedule may force us to do it Thursday late (to save more time for Friday's double bushwhack). But if you're a CHPer, don't despair of spending a second night or day. East is easy and can be picked up any time you're in the area. The other two are the "interesting" ones.

Please reply below with any interest, or PM or email me.

Pb

Last edited:
Orange/Caledonia & Essex CoHP's

Yes, I might well be interested in the Friday bushwhack, assuming you are coming in from the East, as in the Jones report. I would be up for the Essex CoHP as well.

The date conflicts with the Maine Canoe Symposium, but I probably wasn't going to go there until Friday evening anyway, assuming I get a nice early start on the VT bushwhack.

Re: Orange/Caledonia & Essex CoHP's

Tramper Al said:
Yes, I might well be interested in the Friday bushwhack, assuming you are coming in from the East, as in the Jones report. I would be up for the Essex CoHP as well.
Hi Al

Yes we would take the dirt road (Gore Rd in DeLorme) which turns west off of 302 just south of the Orange County line. We would follow the route several others have done, first up Butterfield and then over to Signal by way of the Signal/Burnt col.

As I noted, we would hike the Essex HP (East) on the way down from Gore Mt. which we will do Thursday. So this may end up being done Thursday afternoon depending if we get Gore done soon enough. Otherwise we would hike it at the crack of dawn Friday.

Pb

Revised Schedule

Due to some changes in my schedule and that of Meo, who will be hiking with me Wednesday, I've revised this schedule.

Tuesday, June 1: Cold Mountain - DeLorme page 52.

Wednesday, June 2: Worcester Range - DeLorme page 46.

Thursday, June 3, CHP day: Butterfield, Signal (and if time permits) East - DeLorme page 41 & 49.

Friday, June 4, East (if not done Thursday) and Gore - DeLorme page 49 & 55.

I will be car camping or looking for cheap B&Bs or Motels each night.

I have a couple of CHPers (Tramper Al and Denis) joining me Thursday and I would welcome company on any and all days.

Pb

VT CoHPs

Hey Pb,

Looks like I'm still in for the Orange/Caledonia Co bushwhack, and I think I can manage to get up there on a Thursday.

For those who are unfamiliar, these are bona fide New England bushwhacks, both well over 3000 feet, and the only two VT CoHPs that are really 'off trail'. We are taking the public land approach. This trip will be excellent training for East Turner, I would imagine.

VT CoHPs

What time do we expect to be starting out in the morning? I have to figure out whether to sleep at home, half way, or near the 'trailhead'.

It would be nice to add Essex County as well that evening if feasible. My understanding is that it's about 8 miles RT (so maybe 3 hours?) by back road from the gate, and that walkers are welcome, yes? What I mean is that it is not a marginal access, where night hiking would be distinctly unwise.

Last edited:
Al

I will be in the general area (hiking the Worcester Range the day before) so I can start early. I'll Think about somewhere close by that would allow you to get there late Wednesday night. I haven't investigated that yet, it's the next thing I need to get to.

Anyone know of any places in the Barre Vermont area to stay cheap? Motel, B&B or car camp? Tim: are you back from Colorado yet? Any ideas?

Yes, the Essex CHP (East Mountain) is a walk along an old disused road that goes up to an abandoned radar site. Should be easy for real hikers ;) like us, day or night.

Pb

VT bushwhacks

Pb,

Sounds good.
I may stop off and visit family on the way up, and then meet up with you guys bright and early.

I'm kind of surpised that more people aren't interested in joining this sort of adventure. I guess maybe it sounds too challenging? Maybe it's more than most folks can handle?

more than I can handle?

;) Maybe folks are worried about what's up there.....Remember the Green Acres episode when Mr Hainey's truck died and he did the Possum Hollow bushwack back to Hooterville,then told everyone how scary it was.?No one ever wacked out there again,and he sold a bunch of emergency ponchos the day after.;)

So little time

For those of you still contemplating joining this bushwhack, I urge you to sign up soon, as the roster is filling out and we're getting close to traditional expedition size.

I expect the black flies to be nearing their peak, and there is no expectation of a clear 'view' into the distance of any sort. There is also no money and very little fame involved, even if we should by chance succeed. In others words, it's a classic New England bushwhack.

Tradition

post'r boy said:
what's "tradtional" expedition size?, if i may ask?

In this case, it's whatever size we get. The phrase was meant to imply that some haste in joining the trip was warranted for some reason, as if the group might get too large or something, and one might miss out.

Last edited: