Movie location

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paradox said:
I just caught the uTube video listed in NewHampshire's signature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9rRKaD_lqM

It is from the 1992 movie Last of the Mohicans.

Is that scenery or trail identifiable to folks familiar to the Catskill's or perhaps the Adirondacks? I know Cooper was familiar with the Catskill's, but that is about all I know.
It's certainly not the Catskills.

The Adirondacks? I note the mountains are mostly covered with trees and there are a lot of small slides in the background. So, it's possible. But I would think a place like that, with waterfalls and steep cliffs, would be well known to ADK hikers, but it is not familiar to me.

I seem to remember (with about 90% confidence) that the mountainous parts of the movie were entirely or almost entirely filmed in North Carolina. I don't remember what they used for the river...that could've been the actual Hudson, I suppose. The scenery was certainly spectacular, though. :cool:

Love that movie and it definatley reminds me of the Cats/Daks but the credits say Smokies.

Of course the story is set in NY. I haven't read the entire book but I love the descriptions of the "Wall of Manitou" and the way the Catskills are described -- book was written when there was a wall of Hemlock that made the mountains appear very secretive and impenetrable.

http://www.catskillarchive.com/tc/tc-4a.htm

Some of it looks to have been filmed in the Hudson Valley though.

NY, my lifelong home up until a few years ago is a bee-ooo-ti-ful place !

Last edited:
Whenever I hike Tongue Mtn over Lake George I shout "YOU STAY ALIVE, NO MATTER WHAT OCCURS ! I WILL FIND YOU !!!" :)

There was a nice segment with the panorama photographer on top of Tongue Mtn in the PBS special about the Adirondacks the other night.

Like NY, Western NC has some tracts of old growth forest (incl Oak) that make for "primordial" scenes (R.I.P., chestnut forests).

The NC mountains were not glaciated, which is a big difference, and are (currently) not the >8000 ft that would be needed for an alpine zone. Mt Rogers, in SW VA, is about the same height as Marcy but is covered in forest. Ditto Mt Mitchell, which is higher than Washington.

Two cinemagenic things NC has LOTS of: cliffs; waterfalls.

NC is also a "right-to-work" (non-union) state, but I don't know if that was relevant to the movie production.

Ironically (?), the movie "Cold Mountain", whose story WAS set in the NC mountains, was filmed in ROMANIA. :confused: