Trail running

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
Anybody out there into trail running? If so, what do you look for in a good trail, in terms of distance, grade, conditions, etc.? What are some of your favorite running trails in the Adks? I am working on a free-lance article.

Thanks.

Phil Brown
Adirondack Explorer
Saranac Lake, NY

Phil,

Although your article appears to be about ADK trail running. some of our New England trail runners might offer you some input on the activity in general.
If so, I can copy this post into the New England section for you.

Peakbagr( Alan )

Phil, I didn't see any replies. Maybe everybody PM'd or emailed to you?

For running, I like variety, and lots of up and down. I was never a very fast road runner, so I get left behind on flat, road like trails. I catch the pack again when the going gets ugly: rough trail, steep up and down, etc. I would love a bushwhack race! Maybe when I retire, I'll get into orienteering a little more. I suppose I should develop a liking for the part I'm not good at, and run more flats, but there's only so much time.

I like the Adk Trail Run put on by The Mountaineer. I have been involved in that every year, either as a runner or a volunteer. It's a great event!

While we are on organized runs, I also enjoyed Seven Sisters when I ran that a few years ago. Also a great event.

I train locally on Prospect Mountain, Buck Mountain, and Pilot Knob (all on Lake George), because they are close enough to me for weeknights.

Cascade is fun for a short, steep stab.

The other trail where we keep track of time is the Great Range Traverse. My wife and I time that trip from the Roostercomb parking to the Garden (no Roostercomb summit, no Haystack). She like to get around the loop in 12 hours. A bunch of years ago I did it in 9:20, but I haven't timed myself on it recently. I think that would make a spectacular, very tough race; a real landmark! But it would be a tough sell because it's a popular trail.

Good luck with the article!

Tom