Sandwich Dome via Algonquin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Date of Hike: May 17, 2008

Trail: Algonquin Trail to Sandwich Dome summit and return by same route

Trail Conditions: First 2.7 miles had no snow and were mostly dry. I saw some snow on the trail but stepped right over it. The remaining 1.8 miles were on the north side of a ridge with dense foliage, so there were about 20 patches of snow up to 2 feet deep and 50 feet long. The snow is sometimes packed enough to bareboot, but mostly I sidestepped it or postholed it (usually just shin-deep, but about four times it was thigh-deep). The amount of snow decreases at the highest elevations (> 3850 feet) as the trees lose height. There were two pools of water standing on the trail. Two downed trees.

The trail is poorly marked. The trail is only blazed uphill. So going downhill, I had to frequently check the backs of trees to make sure I was still on trail. The ledges need more blazing or cairns, since the trail makes unpredictable curves up there. Also, there was an extremely steep section with a detour I didn't know about; both routes are blazed. I went up the steep section and started going down the detour before I realized I was going in a circle.

Special Equipment Required: None.

Comments: Summer hiking boots were okay, but they got soaked from snow. This trail was more difficult than I expected for its short length (4.5 miles) and low elevation (3990 feet), due to the snow, steep sections, and that crazy cliff.

Your name: Steve