Moat Mtn. Trail to South and Middle Moat Mtns.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
Saturday night I camped out at my secret camp site on a trailless brook near the Kancamagus. It was a beautiful evening as I set up camp. Then I went for a sunset moose cruise on the Kancamagus to see who was around. I've gotten to know a big bull that I see every spring, whom I call "Big Daddy", but I haven't seen him this year and I'm a little worried about him. I didn't see him but I did see this young adult cow near a meadow...

2008-05-16085.jpg

She made her way into the meadow and browsed on fresh grass shoots...

2008-05-16042a.jpg

The sun was setting behind distant mountains and the light was beautiful. I talked to her for a while and waited to see if she had any babies around but she didn't. I sat down and hung out with her and after a few minutes three woodcocks flushed right next to us. I was startled but the moose didn't flinch. She must have known they were there.

2008-05-16068.jpg

We hung out together and watched the sunset...

2008-05-17053.jpg

Then I went back to the campsight on the brook for hot dogs and a nice little fire and a bit of cognac. A bear (probably) had already pawed my stuff around but there was no food to score. Camp was so enjoyable, and then it was just as nice to crawl into the tent and doze off listening to the brook.

In the morning I planned to hike Livermore Trail to Old Skidder Trail to The Flume. The trail was nice and dry but as I got to the last pitch near the height of land I encountered snow. Not gonna do it! I'm so done with snow. The east-facing side of the pass was bare ground so I left the trail and hiked up and around, but when I got up to Lost Pass, it was all holding onto the snow. Not gonna do it. I made my way back down and opted for The Moats from Passaconaway Rd.

Good call. The trail is in excellent shape. The first part of the trail is mostly beech and the leaves are brilliant spring green.

Bears like beech stands, and many trees show bear claw marks...

2008-05-17120.jpg

I left the trail to explore a swampy area west of the trail. Indian poke and ferns popping out of the ground...

2008-05-17022.jpg

lots of bellwort...

2008-05-17052.jpg

and troutlillies...

2008-05-17103.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Back on the trail, near the top the beech and hemlocks give way to red pines and oaks. I saw my first bluets...

2008-05-17115.jpg

I heard my first drumming grouse as well! The blueberies are flowering and bees are busy doing their magic...

2008-05-17102.jpg

The trail offers many nice views south as you hike in and out of trees. The day was gorgeous and the trees have that special spring color.

2008-05-17108.jpg

I was happily surpried by a few blooming rhodoras! This mountain is loaded with them and the next few weeks will be great for them...

2008-05-17074.jpg

In this view south toward Mt. Chocorua, it was nice to view the Steam Mill Brook drainage area that I explored last week.

2008-05-17131.jpg

Middle Moat summit is among my favorite areas in WMNF. The views are beautiful.

2008-05-17058.jpg

I almost stepped on a snowshoe hare who was out on the ledges, far from any brush. I was stalking a raven with my camera and creeping quietly when it decided to bolt when I was a few feet away. I never saw it until it flushed. It was sporting a brown summer coat. I had lunch while a raven cruised around the ridge. I don't think ravens have jobs. All they do is fly around and make comical sounds.

2008-05-17077.jpg

After a nice nap, I woke up to a thick cloud cover and a steady sw breeze. I slowly made my way back down. This is such a beautiful season for hiking.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
The second picture of the little lady in your first post....probably one of my favorite of your moose pictures yet!

And I have to agree with you on the spring greenery. Nothing is more amazing to me than the super vibrant greens of the hardwoods in springtime!

Brian

Itchin' to get out!

Grounded this weekend, only got out for a short hike/wildflower search. Thankfully, I can live vicariously through you and your wonderful photography. Next Saturday I'll start a week off from work and hope to tramp up the mountains just like you. :)

KDT

Awesome as usual! I tried to walk up to a moose in forestgnome style this afternoon, but it took off when I stepped on some leaves. Accept no imitations - there's only one forestgnome! America's Moose Detector!

rocket21 said:
Awesome as usual! I tried to walk up to a moose in forestgnome style this afternoon, but it took off when I stepped on some leaves. Accept no imitations - there's only one forestgnome! America's Moose Detector!

Thanks. Yeah, that happens to me as well. My method is to act the opposite of a predator and don't try to sneak up to them. Act like a fellow browser, don't prolong eye contact until you've been with them for a while, talk softly to them, and never move steadily toward them. But sometimes they're not interested in company anyway.

Paradox, that's awesome! That's the second time you've reported so many moose on that stretch of road. I'm planning a trip to Lake Umbagog this summer so I'll be looking for them.

happy trails :)

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
Thanks. Yeah, that happens to me as well. My method is to act the opposite of a predator and don't try to sneak up to them. Act like a fellow browser, don't prolong eye contact until you've been with them for a while, talk softly to them, and never move steadily toward them. But sometimes they're not interested in company anyway.

Good to know! I'm happy when I learn something new every day.