Base of Flume Slide via Liberty Springs & Flume Slide Trails: 18-May-2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Date Hiked: 18-May-2008

Conditions: Good (See Comments for other details.)

Special Equipment: No special equipment required.

Comments: For me at least, there are times when it’s satisfying to simply amble down a trail that leads to a summit without actually going to the summit!! Not all trails lend themselves to a nice amble, but in my opinion the Flume Slide Trail up to the base of the slide is a great trail for ambling. Until you get to the base of the slide, the trail never gets overly steep. It goes through beautiful hardwoods and crosses several picturesque brooks (which are easily traversed in the absence of high-water conditions). I don’t want to “over-sell” the trail, but to me it has sort of a primitive and a cozy feel to it since the corridor is a bit narrower than many trails.

So today, since I was uncertain how long the rain showers would hold off, I decided to take an amble on the Flume Slide Trail (nearly to the base of the slide). In a few spots, the trail was damp and muddy, but easily traversed on stepping stones or bog bridges. There were no blow-downs of any significance, and all the brook crossings were easily negotiated.

Also, I took a short off-trail trek to get a close-up view of Mt. Flume, plus a westward view toward Moosilauke.

Two photos from today’s trek are HERE.

1HappyHiker