Bellevue Hill from Brookline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Many thanks to Tramper Al for suggesting this interesting approach to the highpoint of Suffolk County, Mass!

This morning looked like a gorgeous spring day, ideal for strolling along the Emerald Necklace. Walked through Brookline to pick up the Emerald Necklace at Longwood T stop, staying on the west side of the Muddy River and ponds all the way.

The short section from Brookline Ave to the Rt 9 crossing is not terribly esthetic, but apart from that the whole trip to the end of Jamaica Pond was delightful. Then a busy street, redeemed by nice homes with pleasant yards. And then I reached the Arboretum.

The magnolias were in bloom (perhaps a bit beyond peak?) near the main entrance, and further on the lilacs are beginning to get ready for Lilac Sunday (May 16). Climbed both Busey and Peter's Hills (elevations 198 and 240 feet respectively) since I was on a peakbagging expedition!

Once out of the Arboretum I was in unknown territory (Roslindale), but my map guided me down Fairview Street to South Street and to Wadsworth Street. This took me to Washington Street a short block from its intersection with the West Roxbury Parkway. Just across the parkway is a fire road that goes up Bellevue Hill, shortly a well used herd path ascends more steeply to the "scenic" summit.

Over a dozen miles, probably 80% along the Emerald Necklace and Arboretum, on a gorgeous spring day. No postholing, no ice and no black flies yet. Life does't get much better!

Nice

Sounds like a nice walk, Mohamed. The arboretum is a great spot, and I'm glad you got all those peaks along the way!