bird id help, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
This little bird was trying to get into the shelter at Province Pond, NH, today, while I was sitting in the shelter.

provincepond018.jpg

I think this is his/her nest, which is in the rafter.

provincepond020.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Thanks much!

My wife thought phoebe because we've seem them nest in woodsheds, but this bird looks rounder than illustrations and pics I've found on WhatBird and other wsites, but the chirping is familiar.

Be aware of the nest, and what may be falling from it, if you camp there!

happy trails :)

Phoebe

We have them for the first time at our house in Westwood, MA. They took up residence on top of the bat house.

A long long time ago the family struggled with an old Peterson's Guide to the birds, trying to sort out the various flycatchers, then realized there was a great little trait to separate the phoebes: they pump their tails when they are resting on a branch. Believing that to be true, I have always been confident about identifying this little bird.

Phoebes are wonderful. We have one living under our 2nd story porch. Rescued a couple last year after their mom pushed them out of the nest early for some reason. The tail dip is definitely the easiest physical trait by which to identify them. Their call becomes very distinct after you know what to listen for.