New Hiking List - The Ossipee 10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
There was been some discussion of a new list over at RoT, so I figured I'd post information here as well. Thanks to Amicus, carole, and the Trail Bandit, we have a new unofficial (ie currently patch-less) list covering the Ossipee Range in New Hampshire.

I've put together an Ossipee-10 page:
http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nhossipee10.php

Included is a map by the Trail Bandit that covers the entire range.

The current list of peaks:
Mt. Shaw - Tuftonboro, NH 2,990'
Black Snout (Mt. Shaw) - Tuftonboro, NH 2,803'
Faraway Mountain - Moultonborough, NH 2,782'
Mt. Roberts - Moultonborough, NH 2,582'
Mt. Flagg - Tuftonboro, NH 2,390'
Turtleback Mountain - Moultonborough, NH 2,203'
Big Ball Mountain (Tate Mountain) - Tuftonboro, NH 2,060'
Bayle Mountain - Ossipee, NH 1,853'
Bald Knob - Moultonborough, NH 1,801'
Sentinel Mountain - Tuftonboro, NH 1,680'

I personally have visited all but two of the peaks and can say that they're all great places to visit.

Cool

Oh boy, a new list. I love lists, especially ones for lesser known, lesser traveled peaks. Thanks for posting this and for the page you created.

SWEET!!

This will save on gas money as I can ride my bike to all of the trailheads!

Thanks for posting!

;)

Cool Jeremy. I'm surprised that so many peaks have trails in the range. Can we start a sub-list of bushwhacks, including those on the list?
Mount Whittier from Rt 25
Mt Shaw from Connor Pond Road (up ravine between Canaan Mt and Mt Shaw, then bear right)
Black Snout (west peak) from Mountain Road in South Tamworth.
Mts Big and Little Larcom (not a bushwhack) from Mountain Road, South Tamworth.

Opps. The last two on my bushwhack list start on private land so nix those. I just wanted to say that I LOVE THE MAP! Thank you.

Grayjay said:
Cool Jeremy. I'm surprised that so many peaks have trails in the range. Can we start a sub-list of bushwhacks, including those on the list?
Mount Whittier from Rt 25
Mt Shaw from Connor Pond Road (up ravine between Canaan Mt and Mt Shaw, then bear right)
Black Snout (west peak) from Mountain Road in South Tamworth.
Mts Big and Little Larcom (not a bushwhack) from Mountain Road, South Tamworth.

If you want to B/W, it's up to you :) There used to be some trails/logging roads to some of the peaks you mention, so if they are reclaimed/rediscovered, some of the less significant peaks could be substituted (ie I'd really like to have the real Black Snout on there rather than the one currently on the Castle map, which according to some research done by carole was actually called Black Snoot).

Hi, Mount Whittier was a real scratch, so didn't find any trail or road. Doesn't mean there isn't one. Black Snout was a winter bushwhack and fairly open, but started on private land. Not sure if there is another way up there. Also the Larcoms start on private land.
Again, thanks for the great map!

Grayjay said:
Hi, Mount Whittier was a real scratch, so didn't find any trail or road. Doesn't mean there isn't one. Black Snout was a winter bushwhack and fairly open, but started on private land. Not sure if there is another way up there. Also the Larcoms start on private land.
Again, thanks for the great map!

I've heard rumors that a CCC ski trail was cut up to Mt. Whittier a long time ago, and that it ended near where the Mt. Whittier ski slopes were located (not to be confused with the Mt. Whittier ski area on Nickerson Mountain). A lot of trails in the state have portions on private land, so who knows, perhaps if interest picks up in the Ossipees, there could be an effort to get these trails/roads cleaned up and blazed.

rocket21 said:
Faraway Mountain - Moultonborough, NH 2,782'
Mt. Roberts - Moultonborough, NH 2,582'
As I pointed out on RoT, these 2 peaks do not have trails to the summit. Since this list is unofficial, I guess you get to choose whether or not to visit the actual summit.

There is also an unnamed peak N of Faraway with radio tower (and register the last time I was there)

RoySwkr said:
As I pointed out on RoT, these 2 peaks do not have trails to the summit. Since this list is unofficial, I guess you get to choose whether or not to visit the actual summit.

There is also an unnamed peak N of Faraway with radio tower (and register the last time I was there)

Yes indeed...fortunately, the Mt. Roberts summit is circled by the trail, and is about a dozen or two feet from it (and visible). Perhaps a cairn will appear at some point :)

skiguy said:
What would make it official?

My guess would be some kind of governing body who sees to regulating "rules", and keeps track of things. As an example, the AMC oversees the 48, 67 etc. etc.. ADK Mountain Club the 46. Catskills 3500 club, the 35. The LRCT oversees the Belknaps list.

Examples of "unofficial" would be the "Grid", various 3K lists. The AMC this year decided to start keeping track of some of these, but is doing so in an "unofficial" mode. In this case I believe it is because they are taking lists "made" by others and are simply recording finishers and vital stats of said finishers.

Brian

NewHampshire said:
The LRCT oversees the Belknaps list.
I think it's actually the Belknap County Sportsmen Association that oversees that list.

I don't know if this list could ever become 'official,' as not all of the trails are kosher per se...some will not appear in the next edition of the Southern New Hampshire guide, for instance.

IMO rocket21 the list is official because you created it...kudos to you. :cool:

skiguy said:
IMO rocket21 the list is official because you created it...kudos to you. :cool:

Haha, thanks :) I just checked out Turtleback Mountain for the first time today - neat summit. Stopped down at Bald Knob on the way back and enjoyed mostly blue skies (glad the forecast was wrong this morning!) - awesome lake views.

ossipee range

this is really neat. i spent many summers at a girls' camp on Bear Island where we had fantastic views of the ossipee range.

wonder if these trails can be done as a multi-day backpack, do you know?

dottie

dottie said:
wonder if these trails can be done as a multi-day backpack, do you know?

Technically, the Lakes Region Conservation Trust land closes at dusk, so any camping would have to be done on other property.