snowshoes or not

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El deg

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the weather and the trails conditions in may on the higher peaks. I'm worried specialy about the snow on thet op of the montains. So should I bring snowshoes or not?
thanks

This weekend the peaks were basically snow free from Ike to the rockpile. There was still some sloppy stuff in the col between Ike and Pierce and in lower elevations to about 3000feet.

Which peaks? Lots of mountains in the northeast. The Adirondacks still have enough snow at upper elevations to warrant the use of snowshoes up there.

It may seem odd to carry snowshoes at the trailhead when you see spring flowers blooming, but when you get up there, and have to walk on 2 feet of soft snow that's still on the trail, you'll appreciate the shoes.

bring them unless you know different for sure (even though you see snakes slithering in the lowlands) - there is still a lot of sloppy stuff up there (especially the north sides or in the shade)
bringing snowshoes may be the difference between staying on top of the ridge in the middle or postholing through up to your knees.

Typically trails in May are clear (and perhaps muddy) at lower elevations. As you get higher, there's usually a slick ice layer where climbers have packed the trail well (bring instep crampons). If you plan any off trail bushwhacking, now here's where the snowshoes will serve you well, as postholing at higher elevations is quite prevalent. I have a pair of hard plastic snowshoes that I use just for spring time climbs. More expensive types (like Sherpas) tend to snag a lot of exposed trees and branches and will rip the lacings easier (than on typical winter excursions).

I hiked up Tabletop in the Adirondacks last weekend. No snowshoes needed there. Other mountains may vary. You can probably get away with no snowshoes now on just about any mountain in the NE.