Help - Need Some Last Minute Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRASSHPR

Reaction score
I was planning on coming up to the high peaks area on May 7-10, but just read the DEC advisory on voluntary avoidance. Time for a last minute change in plans. I've been coming up as a weekender for the past 15 years, but always in late July and August, and always to the high peaks. Never did an early May hike before, but couldn't pass it up with some unexpected days off from work. Any suggestions on places where I wouldn't offend too many people by walking on muddy trails. Gonna have a group of 4, three experienced, one not so experienced but in good shape. We love climbing the peaks, but wouldn't mind just crashing out in the middle of nowhere for a few days. Would like to see some good scenery and don't mind working for it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, espec. with such short notice. Thanks in advance.

PS. Are snowshoes and crampons a must right now. I'd prefer an area where they aren't absolutely necessary, cause none of the other guys have any.

I think i would shoot for the Pharoah Mountain Wilderness, or the Area near the tongue on Lake George. I don't think there will be much snow, as Pharoah Mt. is only like 2500 feet. Same deal with the Lake George Area.

Pharoah Wilderness has some awesome places to explore. I especially recommend visiting Ox Shoe Pond. Hope you have a great trip!

-percious

Also if conditions in the ADKs are anything like they are in the Whites right now, you would have a great time in the Long Lake area or Indian Lake area. Goodnow Mountain was snow free about a week and a half ago . . . The Tongue Mountain Range might work also.

sli74

I just got back from an overnighter at the Silver Lake lean-to on the Northville-Placid trail (Benson to Whitehouse section). The black flies were not out yet but could be in a few days.
The lean-to was empty except for us and extremely well cared for. The surrounding woods are pure wilderness. A loon called from the lake in the morining and we didn't see a soul after about 2 miles in from Benson. I recommend this destination as a great place to hang and explore.
ecc

Yeh!

Thanks for that link RonandJon I was considering a trip down to Putnam Pond and Treadway this coming Weekend. It sounds like an area well worth visiting. Hope the blackfly stay out the way for a little while longer though.

THNX FOR THE INFO. All of them sound great, but I think Pharaoh Mt. Wilderness is the ticket for this trip.

Barbara McMartin - Eastern Adirondack's

book and map do a pretty good job of describing the trails in this area. Lots of lean-to's in this area, also.

You're just a hop, skip and a jump from Fort Ticonderoga, the Great Stone Fortress, if you have time while you are in the area, too.

FYI.

Most people exploring that area choose crane pond to park. This is an OK place if you like parking near a bunch of other people, and have an SUV to make it through the huge puddle that leads into the area. As an alternative, I would recommend parking off of 74 and hiking an extra couple of miles in. You might still have to navigate the puddle however (unless there is a go-around now), so have your Tevas handy. The hike in is really beautiful, with some small ponds created by beavers. It is definately a nice warm up. Again, Ox Shoe Pond is spectacular.

-percious