Monadnock Sunapee Greenway: Halfmoon Pond to Monadnock 5/24-26

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
Trail conditions: Trail is in good shape throughout this section ... few patches of mud but otherwise, it's smooth sailing. Black flies were out in force -- they were particularly bad along the blue blaze around beaver flooding (near Old King's Highway) and at Crider Shelter. Mosquitoes were out and pretty near the base of the Dublin Trail heading up Mt. Monadnock. Took White-Dot, White Cross and Spruce Link down -- scrambly and eroded... lots of black flies near the trailhead too.

Special equipment: My headnet was my best friend on this trip... only took it off for short stretches throughout the weekend. I was very glad to have the tent at Crider Shelter as the bugs were just relentless.

Comments: I hiked Sunapee to Half Moon Pond and gave up because the bugs were so bad last Memorial Day weekend. I came back this time armed with a headnet and bug spray -- hiked in long sleeves and pants for the whole weekend (except for the ledges on Monadnock.) Didn't see anyone hiking except one couple and a AMC group that also stayed at Crider on Saturday night... until the summit of Mondnock. Very enjoyable hike despite all the roadwalking... especially Hubbard Hill, which was my favorite spot. Kind of strange getting to Monadnock and getting swarmed with people instead of bugs. Nice trail for my first backpacking trip of the year.

More pictures than anyone will want to look at can be found here.

Last edited: