Catskill Record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – May 27, 2008 – On May 16 at 9:30 AM, author Erik Schlimmer took his final step and arrived at the Windham High Peak trailhead. Set in a lonely dirt parking lot in the northern recesses of the Catskill Mountains, it was his step into the record books.

At 9:30 AM on May 10, exactly six days earlier, Schlimmer took his first step towards hiking the Catskill Mountains' 35 summits above 3,500 feet as fast as possible without any assistance. In only six days' time, the adventurer reached all 35 peaks via what he calls a "hellacious route": 140 miles and 42,000 vertical feet of climbing among forests, streams, boulder fields and briar patches. His route incorporated 23 different trails, 20 miles of off-trail navigating and a 13-mile road walk. He camped out each night, carrying only 8.6 pounds worth of gear for the entire journey.

The Catskills' 35 high peaks have a rich climbing history, first reached separately in 1952 by the Spangenbergers, a husband and wife team. It was not until 2002 that anyone reached the 35 summits via one continuous hike.

Completing a two-day, fifteen-hour marathon that year, Ted Keizer, a long-distance runner from Oregon, reached the 35 summits in just 2 days, 15 hours.

But according to Schlimmer, "Though Keizer's achievement was amazing, he enjoyed the advantage of a full support crew who provided extensive assistance. Plus, he did not hike alone the entire time." Schlimmer explains, "We both thrive on endurance, but my style adds another challenge: self-sufficiency from end-to-end." The only supporting role in his trek was a resupply of food he left at the halfway point.

While the author is no stranger to long-distance hiking – he's covered eleven other routes each exceeding 100 miles in length – the Oneonta, NY resident calls his Catskill quest, "mile for mile, the toughest trek" he has ever completed. The most challenging moments of his trip included thrashing through a 13-mile off-trail section of briars and ice storm-damaged forests and tackling a notorious section of the aptly-named Devil's Path. He recalls, "In just one day on the Devil's Path I covered seven 3,500-foot peaks and climbed 8,000 vertical feet. Needless to say, I slept very well that night."

Schlimmer, who teaches in Oneonta State University's Outdoor Education program, has always made sharing a component of his unique achievements. During the 2008-2009 school year, the speaker will be visiting select college campuses, presenting a slide and film program about his record-setting hike. More information on the speaker's adventures can be found at ErikSchlimmer.com.

Tom Rankin said:
He camped out each night, carrying only 8.6 pounds worth of gear for the entire journey..
the GoLite dude might take a few pointers here... ;)

Tom Rankin said:
The only supporting role in his trek was a resupply of food he left at the halfway point..
:eek: Ack ! Some Records Geek somewhere will have a problem with that.

Tom Rankin said:
Schlimmer, who teaches in Oneonta State University's Outdoor Education program, has always made sharing a component of his unique achievements. During the 2008-2009 school year, the speaker will be visiting select college campuses, presenting a slide and film program about his record-setting hike. More information on the speaker's adventures can be found at ErikSchlimmer.com.
I'm impressed, Quite an achievement. Too bad he wasn't a day or 2 longer, he might've found Doublebow's camera, or Doublebow ! ;)

Wow-that's awesome.

No matter how much someone prepares for that type of thing, you still need a little good luck to get through it....so many things can throw you off...

8.6 lbs of gear - I hope to see his gear list.

Chip said:
The only supporting role in his trek was a resupply of food he left at the halfway point..

:eek: Ack ! Some Records Geek somewhere will have a problem with that.
That's me

There is no doubt that this is an amazing feat, but like CD he had outside support although a lot less - himself dropping off supplies outside his time frame. If being unsupported is such a big deal, why did he choose to ruin it?

If there is a record or a list out there, someone will try to break it. I agree it is a amazing achievment, but why do people want to do it. maybe as a test for themselves I suppose. It is a test I could never do so I will give props for that. Me I like to go nice and slow and do one at a time, sometimes two. That way I can crash on the summit for hours. :)

Adk_dib said:
If there is a record or a list out there, someone will try to break it. I agree it is a amazing achievment, but why do people want to do it. maybe as a test for themselves I suppose. It is a test I could never do so I will give props for that. Me I like to go nice and slow and do one at a time, sometimes two. That way I can crash on the summit for hours. :)
If you check out his web page, you will see that he is all about outdoor challenges!

Adk_dib said:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Going fast doesn't diminish the experience for some. It often seems it is only those that choose to go slow that think that it does. He also may do other hikes in a more leisurely style. I know Erik has climbed all those peaks previously so this was a way to revisit those places and physically challenge himself.

I admire Erik's achievements. This one and his doing the NE770 list in winter.
A little less appealing though is the praise of Ted's accomplishment in a way that attempts to diminish it.

In all of Cavedog's communcations and website info, he's done nothing but praise those who'd gone before him and on who's shoulders he stood to establish the record.

Peakbagr said:
I thought I read an article he'd written stating he'd completed the 770 in winter. Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly.

You have it right, but he was 2nd. Tom Sawyer was first.

I like both of their styles. They are just different.

Who wants to be the first to hike the 48, while wearing Pippi Longstocking stockings on rainy Tuesdays with full moons? Then we could make a movie about it!!!

spencer said:

I like both of their styles. They are just different.

Who wants to be the first to hike the 48, while wearing Pippi Longstocking stockings on rainy Tuesdays with full moons? Then we could make a movie about it!!!
Are you sure about Eric? I did not see that on his list of accomplishments, but I did see his CHH in Winter!

Been there, done that

spencer said:

Oh, I already did that ... twice. ;)

Tom Rankin said:
Are you sure about Eric? I did not see that on his list of accomplishments, but I did see his CHH in Winter!

Last Year he asked me if I was interested in doing the winter Catskills. He also said back then that he was almost finished with the Adk 3s in winter. Maybe 16 easy ones to go? (its all relative) So I would expect him to have NY wrapped up or "in the bag." He did not mention doing the NEng 3s in winter yet...I think the subject would have come up. Of course I could be out of the loop.

W NEast 3k Finisher

spencer said:

I believe that Tom Sawyer is the ONLY W NEng 3k Finisher. I do not believe that "The Schlimmer" has finished the W NEast 3k (770) or the W NEng 3k (451).

JimC said:
I believe that Tom Sawyer is the ONLY W NEng 3k Finisher. I do not believe that "The Schlimmer" has finished the W NEast 3k (770) or the W NEng 3k (451).
I keep hearing different things, probably because 'NE' means several things! :D

Finishers

Tom Rankin said:
I keep hearing different things, probably because 'NE' means several things! :D

It can be confusing. That is why I use the labels NEng and NEast.

"The Schlimmer" has finished the NEast (770) but not the Winter list.

Previous unsupported 3500 marathon

Hi,
My husband went to school with Jim Senecal and he tells me Jim climbed the peaks with Joe Hevesi in one shot in 78 or 79. They walked from trail head to trail head. When they did it, the Freeman wrote a full page article about it. You may be able to dig that up. Jim still lives in Shokan, so he can probably be contacted to verify the details. He may not be able to lay claim to the speed record, but he was certainly one of the first.
ecc