Rattlesnake fire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks, but what it really tells me is that our primary responders for a forest fire are woefully out of shape in a state that is ill-postured to deal with a major conflagration. Many of our viewless peaks got that way from major fires.

If you think you are not susceptible look into a fire that thrashed Kensington and Southern Exeter in the wink of an eye not too many decades ago.

Is there a volunteer organization in this state where you can "lay it on the line if the sh*t hits the fan" in forestland? I have been in my not too recent past a firefighter and would respond if necessary.

Damon

This is a funny (odd) coincidence. Rattlesnake happened to be the last peak I climbed on Saturday (at the end of a productive day, I had just enough time for this last short climb up to the scenic summit). I guess it will look noticeably differently if I climb it again soon.

It will be interesting to learn what started the fire.

Any info as to where exactly the fire was located on the mountain? 9 acres sounds like it could have included most of this small gem. :( Glad I visited there the end of April.

Just so that everyone's clear, this is the Rattlesnake west of Plymouth, not the one near Squam Lake.

Sounds like the fire was concentrated on the rock climbing side of the mountain, not the hiking trail side and summit area. I hope thats not just wishful thinking. :eek:

When I drove past today, the whole front/south side of the mountain was engulfed in smoke. I could see flames on the side of the mountain in a few places and there were two helicopters dumping what I assume to be water. The air smelled like campfire all the way to Plymouth.

Thats a great question!!!

dRitter said:
Is there a volunteer organization in this state where you can "lay it on the line if the sh*t hits the fan" in forestland? I have been in my not too recent past a firefighter and would respond if necessary.

Damon
Fantastic question. I almost never post here(Lurkey Lurkey!!), however, I would like to know if anyone (SAR-EMT40 or Sardog1 perhaps??) knows the answer to this. I always hear about searches or other goings ons and wish I could just drop what I'm doing and go up and help out in some way. I have no formal fire training, but know my way around a first aid kit, an excellent sense of direction, and most importantly, a willingness to insert myself into situations that any reasonable person (such as my wife) would consider to be miserable and maybe a little bit nuts (Freezing cold, nightime, foggy, rainy, 15 mile overnights) and still love every minute of it. I dunno I can be a bit crazy sometimes, so maybe this is just wishful thinking, but those seem like traits that would be handy in these situations. :p