S Moosilauke/Moosilauke/Blue/Jim

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
S Moosilauke/Moosilauke/Blue/Jim + Carr

After watching the Celtics squeak by the Pistons, I got a bit of sleep before leaving for NH at 330AM.

Another super day in the Whites; traveled Gorge Brook, Snapper, Carriage, S Moos, Carriage, Bear Brook and Asquam---Gorge, Snapper and Carriage snow free except between 4000-4500' where snow was patchy and avoidable--all clear and dry above treeline; more snow on way down Bear Brook and Asquam-worst between Jim and BB/Asquam jct--postholed through several feet of rotten snow in a few stretches--met an AT hiker (who needed some friendly advice that Moosilauke to Old Speck is a a bit different than Roan Mt)

S Moose was nice and worth visiting,you all know Mooilauke and Jim is just viewless woods a few yards off the trail.

Mt Blue is a short (0.15 miles), easy bushwack off Beaver Brook. There's no well defined starting point and no herd path that I could find, so i just went into the woods at a likely spot and made my way "up" on a compass bearing. The woods were only moderately thick (not even cut up much in my usual shorts and short T bushwack attire :( ) with patches of snow. After a bit of thrashing around a flattish top, i found the jar J&J placed last fall-thanks- (there's also an older Gatorade bottle). Getting the top off the jar was a bear, harder than the wack. No reason to go to Blue (not on any list I'm doing, Trailwrights not for me), but it was a fun sidetrip.

I spent the late afternoon reading in the sun on some slab rock in the river north of Lincoln, grabbed some good grease a McDonald's and headed for a peaceful, lonely night at the Elbow Pond Hilton. I was blasted awake at 11 by a 20 minute fireworks display by several carloads of revelers, but tired enough to go back to sleep after they slunk back into the night.

Today I was up early and headed over to Stinson Lake to hike Carr. I wasn't sure what I'd find as they were fighting fire on Rattlesnake on Thurs and had closed a few hiking trails in the area. There was no sign of any firefighting activity and I pulled into the 3 Ponds parking area to find a car alreadythere -saw a large bull moose just past Stinson Lake and had a 30 second staredown.

Carr is what i'd call a routine slog in the woods-no views going up, lower 2/3 of trail mellow and dry, top 1/3 rougher and wet. The top is on a small spur and boasts the cement supports of a dismantled tower. For those of you concerned about the "tippy-top", I think it's one of two knobs just a little way out from the tower site rather than the cairn/jar on the tower rock knob. The view is standard, medium distance panorama of peaks, slowly being obscured by tree growth. It was nothing like the great view/feeling from Tremont a few days ago and at the risk of incurring someone's wrath, i continue to think that perhaps the 52 WAV list needs some serious revision :)

On the way down I saw someone motoring up the trail, we stopped to speak and it dawned on me "this is Marc Howes". It was, we had a good conversation, he headed off for a long day that included Cushman and Kineo and I started the long trek back to Bangor and game 6.

another in a stretch of really good hikes in the Whites
jim

Last edited:
Jim, count yourself one of the very few to have encountered Mr. Howes on a TRAIL!
Of the two routes up Carr, I think the approach from the west is nicer....

bigmoose said:
Of the two routes up Carr, I think the approach from the west is nicer....

I agree, and it offers the significant fringe benefit of a short spur to Waternomee Falls, which no falls-bagger would want to miss. I agree with jim that Carr's spot in the 52WAV may date back to a time when its trees were lower. You drove by Stinson Mt., which, while not a 3K (2,900'), has a better view, and is a shorter hike.

You found a great way to oocupy the interval between Celtics victories. When I hiked Moos 20+ years ago, I hadn't even heard of those subsidiary peaks, so a return is in order. You also got the midweek sunshine that disappears come Sat. am. :(

According to Fred Shirley's site, Black Mountain (near Jackson) replaced Carr on that list a few years ago.