Putnam Pond,Treadway and Rock Pond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prino

Reaction score
I have decided to stay away from the High Peaks for a while during mud season and am planning to do a route around the Putnam pond area.
I have been reading up the routes in Barbara Mcmartins guide book for the Eastern adirondacks which goes into some terrific detail.
From the state campground we will take the trail south of Putnam pond then North and west up Treadway Mt.
Now, rather than return on the trail to Mud pond and Clear Pond I would like to know what the bushwacking is like to head over Big clear pond mt. and then over to Peaked hill which apparently is completely open on top. down to Rock pond which is supposed to be very beautiful with a neat Graphite mine nearby. Then return by the bear pond trail.
I have a lot of experience with bushwacking and map and compass work so don't mind a bit of a challenge in that department
Has anybody done this route or parts of it?
Thanks!

I have hiked the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness loop several times, but strangely enough I have never hiked Treadway Mountain.

In reference to your bushwacking question, I can't see how the forest would be too thick and overgrown, being mostly old growth (I think...) but I seem to recall many wet/swampy areas nestled in the valleys. The hike from the Treadway mountain trail to Big Rock Pond is not all that strenuous, and therefore doesn't take very long. I don't remember the mileage, or I'd be able to give you a better idea. Clear Pond is a gorgeous pond with a great rocky outcropping in front of the lean to, perfect for jumping off of into the water.

There are two mines on the shore of Big Rock Pond. One was a strip mine which is up a terraced hill right above an old locomotive boiler, the other was a shaft mine going about 100 feet into the side of the hill, and is visible from the trail. If you're nuts and hiking with companions, climb to the top of the strip mine, put on a pair of river shoes or sandals and your shorts and jump off. Very rewarding! (Keep your feet together, though...ouch...)

Since you'll be going earlier in the season, though, the water will be freezing, so you might forego the swimming...

Have Fun!

Water looked really clear last summer, and in the warmth of the sun was very tempting...

I did this loop (minus Treadway mt) last year and it was a nice dayhike :).

The trails are well marked and used, so you'll have no problems finding your way around without map/compass (bring them anyway of course!).

Treadway Mountain has a relatively open summit, actually a couple nice open spots to enjoy lunch with vistas to the south and west. We also saw Bobcat prints in the mud partway up the trail.

Didn't bushwhack around there but camped a couple of times. Once we paddled out with our gear and beached our canoes for a couple days while we base camped at Little Rock Pond L/T.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I think we'll stick to the trails unless the bushwacking looks easy.

Now let's hope for some decent weather this weekend.:cool: