32 Hiking and Climbing Fatalities a year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cirques = corries

Thanks for the link. A lot of similarities between the Scottish and White Mountain landscapes, with the corrie on the north side of Ben Nevis, Scotland's highest summit, having classic ice climbing routes similar to those in our cirque Huntington Ravine. I believe that there are over 600 Monro's in Scotland, 3000 ft peaks that comprise a list similar to our peak-bagging lists. Scottish peaks are a bit lower than ours in the Whites, but treeline is also lower, given the more northerly latitude and fierce winter winds that come off the ocean. I wonder if their accident RATE (per capita) is higher than ours, or if there are simply more folks getting out there in Scotland.

Hillwalker said:
People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I love hiking in Scotland.
Hiking??? I think the Brits call it "walking". And yes, from what I understand Ben Nevis, under "full conditions", can be fun :) Or fatal :( Much like our own Mount Washington.

Munroes VS 4ks

Hiking on a large number of Scottish Munroes starts at or just above sealevel. In fact you often can dip your toes in Ocean waters (sea loch) and begin your hike. Thus making your vertical ascent often more than out 48 4Ks. Last I knew there were 584 Munroes and subsidiary peaks called "tops" on my list which I will never complete in my lifetime. Been there nine summers but it's getting very expensive nowadays.

Summer is wonderful hiking season because due to the latitude you can hike in daylight till nearly eleven P.M.

One of my fave areas: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/fisherfield_frame.htm