Info For Rangeley,me

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packdan

Reaction score
I'm planning to climb Saddleback or Old Speck this weekend.Has someone been there lately.Do you know if there is a lot of black flies or mosquitos around there.

Thanks
Danny

Danny,
I would prepare for the worst if you do Saddleback. Was in Rangeley over Memorial Day weekend and the afternoon/early evening black flies were unusually bad at times. Did not notice any mosquito activity then, but that could change too. Unlike black fliees, skeeters are easy to combat with DEET, as you probably know.

My recommendations are:
a. Getting an early start is always a good idea for the black flies, as they are not very active in cooler weather (typically less than 55 degrees).

b. Wearing a headnet will greatly reduce the black fly annoyance factor.

Good luck,
marty

I just got back from three days in the area and the bugs are tolerable. There were a few mosquitoes near the water at the end of the Firewarden's Trail by the Bigelows, and gnats were annoying on Sugarloaf but other than these two instances bugs were not a problem. I'd go with a bugnet and bugspray just to be safe, but don't let fear of bugs keep you away. Best of luck hiking...