beta light tarp and other ultra light shelters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecc

Reaction score
The ultralight backpacking thread inspired me to replace my Eureka Summit tent (over 8 lbs). Has anyone used the Black Diamond Beta Light tarp shelter? How about any other ultra light tent/shelter recommendations? I would need something a little more spacious than a smallish 2 person tent since I would be sharing it with my largish husband and 2 dogs (lab and Jack Russell Terrier). But I would still like to keep things under 4 lbs or so. Too tall an order?
Any feedback would be great!
ecc

ECC, I sold off my Eureka summit about 6 years ago due to the sheer weight of it, even for 2 people.

I started using a Beta light (the syl-nylon version, not the Beta-Mid) as well as the mosquito mesh insert. It is awesome to carry in your pack - it packs very tiny and is extremely ultralight

Forwarning, It will not due justice for 2 people and dogs. You are both bound at some point to hit the ski poles in the vcenter that hold it up, things would get more precarious with 2 people, and 2 dogs in there with the 2 upright poles. You might have more success with the Mega light, it offers substantially more room. I am a big guy - I owned a Quest knockoff of the Megamid for a few years back in the early 90's and found that to be luxuriously roomy.

For a floor, I bought a Kelty 5x8 footprint for $6 at STP and tied some parachute cords with tensioners to the corners so they will attach to the betalight stakes and keep the footprint from shifting.

In tick and slug country you are probably going to want to use either the screen insert (has biult in bathtub floor) or the separate bathtub floor.

I find when I use it, around 10-11 PM, I start dreaming about my next trip and bringing a tent that has no poles in the center.

FWIW, I bought a Eureka Zeus 2 for my 2 week Alaska Trip last year and ended up selling it on Ebay as soon as I got home - The humidity build-up was bad - and that was 1 in a 2 man tent. So, if you are thinking along that line, you might want to reconsider.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
ecc,

I would take a good look at a Tarptent . These shelters are incredibly light, very sturdy, very weatherproof, provide adequate ventilation, and are bugproof. As an example, you can get the Cloudburst (2-man) with a sewn in floor, providing 39 square feet of floor space, and still weigh in at 2 lbs, 6.5 oz. That weight includes stakes and poles. The Squall is an even lighter 2-man shelter at 1 lb, 14.5 oz. If you're looking for even more space, Tarptent is now making a 3-man shelter called the Rainshadow that weighs in at 2 lb, 9 oz. with a sewn-in floor, poles, stakes, etc.

If you poke around the website, a lot of the questions you have will probably be answered. I have personally never used a Tarptent, but as soon as I can sell some of my other tents, that's what I'll be buying. I have spoken at length with two other backpackers who have used these shelters extensively, and they both rave about them. The shelters are not free standing, but that rarely seems to be a problem.

I know there are some other fans of the Tarptents over on the AMC boards, so you might get some good feedback over there as well.

John

Last edited:
I've got the Eureka Summit too, and it is kinda heavy. I thought that from the day I bought it 10 years ago. You guys got me thinking now.

This brings me to a question - I've always preffered free standing shelters - what's the best way to stake down a shelter? What kind of stakes do you use? I do a lot of camping in the Catskills and the ground there is all pretty rocky sandstone cobbles and boulders.

Is it any different further north (Adirondacks)?

Thanks.

I consider using a tent for backpacking a major luxury, except in deep winter. (I can't handle the weight.) I've used a tarp since the 70's and these new sil-nylon jobs come in at around a pound for a 10 x 12. I use my treking poles for supports if I can't find trees that are placed properly. A big tarp like that can sleep 5 without gear. In nasty weather, you pitch it differently with the windward side near or on the ground. I use either personal ground cloths, or sheet plastic for underneath.
Chris, I always carry a set (about 8) of 6061 tent pins I made years ago, but I usually use only 2 or 4. I tie off to trees and large rocks and just use the pins to hold in places where those things ain't.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

I'm always changing the stakes I bring with a tarp/tent:

Black Diamond made (makes still?) a sturdy T cross section stake. Never bent one, but they're heavy. Good for the Catskills "2 rocks for every dirt" soil. I tend to use these with a mega mid.

Lately I've been using either TNF V stakes or the MSR (or is it mountain hardwear) groundhog T cross section stakes. Small, light, and I haven't bent a groundhog stake yet. I tend to use these with a tarp.

I tend to mix and match the types of stakes I bring and tie down to trees, rocks and logs when I can.

As for the threads topic: mega mid: great tarp tent as noted above, but I'm always a spazz when I try to put it up so I now use it in winter only (less people to see me fungle with it, I can put on a face mask to hide the embarrassment). Kelty Noahs Tarp: Not syl nylon shaped tarp, nice, but sometimes difficult to rig taught lean to or traditional A frame style due to the shaping. Integral Design Sil shelter: lovely idea that will fit in a fanny pack but small on inside space and "door" makes it less than storm sturdy. That said with a bivy it was serviceable during a New Years Eve snow storm.

I regret not just getting a 10x12 sil tarp after my first one was stolen. Some of the newer designs are nice but not as flexible as a just a rectangle tarp. A 12 X12 syl nylon tent should be fine for 2 people and dogs.

For what it's worth, I love the Shires Tarptent that Johnnycakes mentioned. I have the Squall. However, the two-person would definitely not be enough room for you two and the dogs. I haven't seen the three-person version, so I can't comment on that one. I think Henry Shires has loaners he allows prospective buyers to test out, however, so if you're interested you may be able to get a sample to see if it's roomy enough for you.

- Ivy

I've been using a tarptent from Dancing Light Gear that I like a lot - a little more storm-worthy than the Shires ones (which are also great). I did a review here:

Dancing Light Gear Tarptent Review

I also was on a few trips this winter with folks who used a Black Diamond Megalite and a Golite Hex - they like them but noted that they get a fair amount of condensation inside; also takes a bit of time to set them up. Pictures from one of the trips (you'll see the two shelters in the thumbnails - click to enlarge) are here:

Pictures from Yosemite trip

- Steve

Interesting stuff. I really need to ditch my Summit now and try out one of these little shelters. Does Campmor carry this stuff?

Hi,

Has anyone tried the MSR Missing Link or any of the other MRS light weight tents. I looked at the Tarptents that Johnnycakes talked about and they look good. I think the small added weight of the 3 man is the way to go.

Mark

I LOVE my Henry Shires Tarptent, I have the Squall and use it as my solo shelter. It performs amazingly well and I had posted a gear report on another website that I will cut and paste below in case anyone is interested. Hope it helps.

"I just spent 5 days in the Grand Canyon at backcountry sites and got to put my Squall through a range of temps, winds, precipitation and conditions all in the same 5 day trip. I have the Squall, the older version with the shorter beak that I sent back to Henry so they could add the zipper across the bottom to completely close the "tent". I wasn't expecting the tent to come back in time for my trip but it arrived with the new zipper retrofit a couple of days before I left.

It was easy enough to "stake" down even when the stakes wouldn't penetrate the ground. I used heavy rocks placed on top of the stakes as they lay flat on the floor. The tent held its shape and posed no problems with the exception of one night when the tent was set up on a rocky ledge, it blew over . . . though in defense of the tent, I staked it front into the wind and the wind was STRONG. A little more care with the rocks fixed the problem. I only had one night where there was any condensation in the tent, it was a VERY calm night with no winds and it had POURED the evening before. My tent was the only one of the group's tents that was put up inspite of the oncoming deluge and it withstood the heavy downpours, strong winds, etc with amazing results. NO water in the tent, back to the wind as it should be staked out. The mesh along the floor was just slightly damp but considering that particular storm actually caused a flash flood lower in the drainage, the tent performed beyond my expectations. That night I had light condensation, another hiker in our group using a competing tarptent had dripping condensation that soaked his entire tent and him and his sleeping bag. I stayed dry and 10 minutes in the sun fixed the light dampness.

The tent withstood that storm so amazingly that between that and my apparent love for my fabulous tent sold atleast 2 maybe 4 hikers in another group to check out the tents when they got home. I LOVED proudly displaying my little light tent to everyone and watching them look disbelievingly when I told them how little it weighed.

Anyway, thought you guys would like a report and I wanted a chance to thank Henry for the most fabulous tent that will officially put an end to my insane tent buying trying to find perfection . . . though now I am eyeing the Cloudburst . . . back to the 12 step program for gear addiction."

sli74

Yup, I got the sewn in floor because I don't care for creepy crawlies but when I bought my tent last year the floor was not sewn to the mesh on the front door so I had to place heavy objects on the opening to keep it closed. I spoke with Henry at length and we tossed around the idea of a velcro closure. I wasn't comfortable with that much velcro near the mesh and he wasn't comfortable with the zipper closure (something about tension), well in the following months they tested the velcro versus the zipper and found less tension with the zipper. I sent my tent back in and for about $25 including shipping they retrofit the tent for the zipper enclosing the tent completely. My tent with floor and full zipper still weighs under 2 pounds.

sli74

I'm currently having an internal debate over which ultralight tent solution to take on my upcoming NP trail hike.

The contenders are the Squall, which I have just heard great things about.....and a combination OR Bug Bivy with Granite Gear Tarp

Why bother with the two units when the tarptent does the same thing and probably better? Well, because I sleep in Lean-to's most of the time... usually by myself, and the bug bivy gives me the option of setting up a very good bug barrier in the lean-to. It also gives me the option of not setting up the Tarp on clear nights. So the Tarp would be for worst case scenarios when I get stuck in between shelters, or if the lean-to is full, and it is going to storm.

Holdstrong,

I go back and forth between the two myself and it really comes down to the fact that when I am solo, I like having all my stuff except food in my tent with me and I like the "anonimity" (sp?) of the tent. I still hang out in Lean-tos but particularly when I am by myself I like that none can easily tell I am alone when I am in my tent. So the chances are less that I will use the bug bivy/tarp combo. I think it is really a personal choice and somewhat dependant on what weather conditions are like at a particular time.

sli74

Ever since I decided to replace my tent, I change my mind several times a day as to which model I will eventually get.

Here's my latest list:
Tarptent Rainshadow w/floor (2.625 lbs single wall)
MSR Trekker tent (4lbs single wall)
Sierra Designs Sirius 3 (4lbs 11oz.)

Has anyone used any of these?
Right this minute I'm leaning towards the Rainshadow (thanks for the link, John). But my husband is leaning towards the Sirius 3. He's concerned about codensation with the single wall design, plus he won't be carrying it so a couple of extra pounds doesn't perturb him.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.
ecc

Last edited:
The contenders are the Squall, which I have just heard great things about.....and a combination OR Bug Bivy with Granite Gear Tarp

Holdstrong - how about a poncho tarp (e.g., the one from Integral Designs, Owareusa.com or Backpackinglight.com) plus a lightweight bivy sack like the one from the latter two of these companies?

I have this setup and like it; the poncho does double duty as a shelter and as rain gear, and the bivy sack is good under the poncho tarp or in a lean-to. Total weight is just over a pound for the whole setup.

(I also use the poncho tarp with my Hennessy Hammock in place of the stock tarp - again, because it can do double duty.)

- Steve

Tarptent Rainshadow review (preliminary)

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to report that I have taken my tarptent on its first excursion. My husband and 2 dogs did the NP trail between Benson and Whitehouse as an overnighter.
The Rainshadow performed beautifully in the albiet benign conditions. The weather was dry so condensation was nil. The tent is very spacious. We were even able to keep our gear and boots inside (it was dry, but based on experience, we didn't trust it to stay that way). Nevertheless, only the person in the middle can sit up without hitting the tent wall. The weight of 2.625 lbs is just such a relief! It makes up for any limitations.
On the downside, I was unable to use my trekking pole to pitch it, so I had to use the supplied collapsible pole. My pole kept falling over and the tip was too big for the gromet on the tent. Also, I've had to repair 2 of the tie-down loops on the tent. One came off when I pitched it to seam-seal it (I was overzealous in pulling it taut), the other came off when my terrier ran into it. Since this seems to be a trend, I went through and reinforced them all. Not a big deal.
So far, it's a hit!
ecc

I have a Cloudburst (2 person single wall) with the sewn-in floor. My first impression when I set it up in my living room was "this thing is huge!" I was worried about lack of a vestibule but there is so much room in the tent that is not really an issue.

I have just used it about 4 nights while biking to Maine and it was easy and quick to set up. Didn't have a problem with condensation.

I got the cloudburst and not the squall because my primary use for it was bike touring so I wouldn't of even had the option of carrying a hiking pole and using that. The thing packs small and its even more compressable if one wants to use a compression sack.

Dislikes: Wish the poles (Easten 7071AL) were shorter cause they are slightly longer than my panniers on my bike. Not a problem for backpacking, but it would be nice to have shorter pole lengths.

Jay