A hiking death in NY...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WinterWarlock said:
, but I've been to this spot in HiTor a few times...last time I was there a couple of large trees had fallen over the edge near the falls, so I'd guess that's where he was.
and if you were just a few inches closer I could have been driving a new car home. :D

Little Rickie said:
If I had your keys I'd have your charge card, :p at least until I had a chance to turn the both into cash. :)

Anyway - on topic - the article says he was hiking with his wife...how horrible for her to have been there. That's a pretty steep spot - I can't imagine what she is going through.

WinterWarlock said:
Details are still a bit sketchy, but I've been to this spot in HiTor a few times...last time I was there a couple of large trees had fallen over the edge near the falls, so I'd guess that's where he was. I'm surprised at the size of the rescue crew, though - 40-50 people!

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/x120334938/Geneseo-man-dies-after-fall-at-High-Tor
It is a shame.

I am not surprised at the number.

I am surprised they seem to be in full gear with Sunday's temperatures! :eek:

Spent a lot of years hiking in Hi Tor. One of the many places I miss around Rochester/Finger Lakes.

Since a few local rescue crews (and some not so local) do ropes courses and practice rescues there, it was probably easy to get a lot of folks there on a Sunday afternoon.

I am wondering if he stepped on an overhang or an overlook spot with an undercut that gave way?

Rick said:
I am wondering if he stepped on an overhang or an overlook spot with an undercut that gave way?

I was there in January & March...when I went the second time, one of the big trees near the overlook was gone, and over the side into the gorge. So my guess would be that there was a weak undercut there.

I also know that there is a geocache over the side that requires ropes http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a3f388bc-9bd0-4956-8268-cc1478c8b808- I know if you read the sites you'll see someone broke their ankle last year trying to get it.

Scott

Last edited:
The paper said today he stoped to turn around to talk to his wife and lost his balance. It's always some little dumb thing that turns into a big thing.

My wife caught the article. I know she's going to worry now. I'm up there several times a year and now plan on doing some snowshoeing this winter. This is the first time she heard of someone getting hurt where I go hiking.

WW I don't want your car. Your too much fun and I like the snacks you bring too much. :)