Catamount

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikem'all

Reaction score
Just wondering is it hard to find the trailhead for Catamount Mt. From what I've read it can be tricky. Any tips on the trail would be great thanks.

Not at all.

From the town of Wilmington, NY (12 miles north of Lake Placid), take the Whiteface Mountain Memorial Highway. At the actual toll gate (which lead to the summit of Whiteface), stay to the right and continue to a Junction 6.9 miles from Wilmington. Turn Right and continue to the Plank Road Intersection at 7.0 miles. Take a right and continue for 2.1 miles.

At the bottom of long gradual downhill slope (2.1 miles from the above intersection), slow down and look for some RED (or possibly yellow) surveyors tape on the left hand side of the road. THIS MARKS THE TRAILHEAD.

It sounds more complicated then it really is. This area is pretty flat and you are clearly able to see the mountain on your approach. It's a great hike. first half, through a pleasant forest, 2nd half, an open rock scamble that is a must do for the kid in all of us. One of the best non-HP hikes (IMHO).

Last edited:
My wife and I were here with our pooch this past August.

Lots of really nice things about Catamount. Beginning with it rising out of pastures when seen from a distance. The first part of the trail goes through one of the most interesting woodlands I've ever been in.
The trail starts climbing thru open hardwoods, and then the next thing you know, you're scrambling in and out of rock ledges.

Catamount's foresummit is open rock. To get to the true top, you head back into the woods for a few minutes, and then its back out on rock all the way to the top. The summit offers lake and forest views to the west.

This is a great hike.