VFTT Website For Sale: $5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
OK, I have your attention. No the site is not for sale, but if it was, what is it worth to you? $1 ? $3? $5?

I posted a message asking for your support in The Brain Tumor Society Ride for Research and have not gotten much response so far. Out of the 1000+ registered readers on the site, only 100 looked at the message and out of that I have only received 1 online donation (thanks Rob!) and 2 checks in the mail (thanks teejay and Stan!).

I have been running this site for 10 (!) years. I run it out of my pocket and I seldom ask for donations to help defray the cost. What I do ask is that you ask yourself what this site is worth and donate it to The Brain Tumor Society. So take a look at the number of posts listed next to your avatar and think about it. Better yet, figure out the number of posts and trail conditions you have read over the last year and think about it. Think about the people you have met, the hikes you have taken, and the sense of community here. What is it worth? A penny a post? $2 ? $5 ? I'm guessing this website is a little more interactive, possibly more informative, and contains a few less ads than Backpacker Magazine, and I think people pay like $20 a year for that. If every reader on this site donated just $3, it would add up to a huge donation to TBTS.

Please consider sponsoring me on the TBTS Ride for Reseach this year and donate soon. The ride is on the 16th, which is just over a week away.

Donations can be made online by visiting my Ride for Research Homepage.

Due to the short time until the ride, online donations are the way to go but donations can still be made via snail mail by sending it directly to me soon at:

Darren Almeida
812 Potomska Rd.
South Dartmouth, MA 02748

Checks should be made out to "The Brain Tumor Society".

The Brain Tumor Society was founded in 1989 to provide hope and comfort to patients, survivors, and families; and help them in their struggle against a brain tumor by offering concrete informational resources and supportive services. The Society was also chartered with the goal to fund brain tumor research in order to find new treatments, and ultimately, a cure.

More information on The Brain Tumor Society can be found on their website.

Thank you for your support!

- darren

Darren:

Your point is well taken.

Just an FYI- I'll be doing the Devils Path hike with the other VFTT'ers and posting a donation in the name of my kids for $25 as well.

I appreciate all you have done and the value I receive from this site.

Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your support! I know that some people are doing the Devil's Path hike and I appreciate their donations on that event just as much! I plan on being there for the hike to run support and look forward to meeting you and everyone else.

Thanks again!

- darren

darren said:
OK, I have your attention

Good one, Darren! A real attention getter.

I have to admit, I didn't see the first post. I think I have my eyes trained to skip the "stickies", as in "oh, yeah, site rules...read that already". I know....BAD, BRENDA, BAD! BAD GIRL. I promise to read the top lines from now on!

Thanks for the reminder of how invaluable this website is to my outdoor pursuits. I wish you luck in reaching your goal.

Jason

I hang my head in shame. I should have responded to your first request. I put a donation through on the online site.

C'mon folks! Let's show Darren some support. He offers this web site to us out of his own generosity. It has to be worth something to all of you to be able to visit a valuable web site without being bombarded with ads!

Keep up the good work on all fronts, Darren.

Darren,

Although I don't post that often, I truly enjoy and appreciate this website. Just made my donation on-line.

Best of luck!!

Not to much to ask and it certainly is a worthy cause. Keep up the great work Darren

I agree. And we all appreciate the value of this site.
Thanks, Darren.

Darren,

Thanks for the call to action. Just did an online donation. Good luck with the ride!

And just so you know, in case you don't hear it enough, we LOVE your site! I look at it every day at work and love the information it provides. Thank you thank you for giving us this place to trade information, advice and stories.

-Danielle :)

To-do lists mean nothing when I never check them. Thanks for the reminder!

I can't ride; that's my Mom's birthday and a friend gets his PhD that day as well. Good luck to Team VFTT and thanks to Darren for "gathering" us to this worthy cause.

Darren,

I lost my father to a brain tumor back in October of 1997. I know what a nasty disease this is and thankyou for raising money for this great cause. AS I did not contribute money to you I always make a contribution every year to the brain tumor society.

At my fathers funeral we had a fund set up that if anyone wanted to make a contribution they could mail in to the BTS. I think we raised just over five thousand dollars :)

Keep up the good work!

ADAM

My mother passed away last year of a brain aneurism. Perhaps this research will benefit those people as well. You have my donation in her memory.

Mark

cantdog said:
If everyone who does the Wapack trip tomorrow wants to make a donation and brings their checkbooks, we can send them all together in one envelope.

Just threw a blank check in my wallet. Good idea Julie.

Mark

Done -

Darren - thanks for the VFTT board, and for your unselfish support of this worthy cause. Good luck and success to you and the cause. Ron