Davis -true summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
I'm headed to Davis via Davis path tomorrow (Friday) and was looking for some advice/knowledge re speculation in a past thread about the location of the Davis summit.

On the topo there is a spur (about 0.2 miles) which leads east from the Davis Path to a "south knob" (3800' contour) and then NE, then N to an end at the "north knob" or summit at 3819'. There are two more "lower" knobs NE perhaps 0.1-0.15 miles beyond this point.

For any of you who question where the true summit might be--
1) Do you surmise that the spur actually stops at south knob rather than continuing to 3819 north knob as on map--if yes, do you remember how terrain is for short wack to north knob?
or
2) do you think summit is elsewhere than 3819 north knob on map?

many thanks
jim

I think it is the north knob. When you take the spur path, you come out on a flat area. Nice spot. I don't think it's the true summit, though. If you look north you will see another flat area less than 100 yards away. I think that is considered the true summit.

Last edited:
I'm agreeing with Dug. When I was there a couple years ago, none of us in the group were sure about this issue, it was a long hot day traversing Isolation and the thick (but low) brush between the two bumps made none of us want to head over there. I look forward to heading back for the true summit sometime in the future and hope to read your trip report after you've been there.

If you brought a GPS today you'd know the answer by now :)
buckyball1 said:
On the topo there is a spur (about 0.2 miles) which leads east from the Davis Path to a "south knob" (3800' contour) and then NE, then N to an end at the "north knob" or summit at 3819'. There are two more "lower" knobs NE perhaps 0.1-0.15 miles beyond this point.
The USGS map (and maps derived from it are wrong), the junction is lower than shown and the trail actually ends at the S bump. Note the new WMG map shows this correctly although the text says the spur goes to the summit.

1) Do you surmise that the spur actually stops at south knob rather than continuing to 3819 north knob as on map--if yes, do you remember how terrain is for short wack to north knob?
The spur stops at S knob, it is thick from there to N knob and more like the .15 mi shown on map than the 100 yards cited elsewhere
2) do you think summit is elsewhere than 3819 north knob on map?
I have no reason to think so, but you might ask Steve Smith & Gene Daniell why they do :)