Adventure Reading

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link did not work for me but I found the list anyway. Thanks for finding this. I have read 17 of the list so it looks like I have lots of great reading ahead of me.

JohnL

Cool list! Off to the library...
I have to put a plug in for #34, In the Land of White Death, by Valerian Albanov...I just finished it...remarkable.
From the snubbed list, I would recommend "No Horizon Is So Far" by Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen with Cheryl Dahle.

I'm almost done with #22 The Home of the Blizzard. Definitely gets high marks from me. It's unfathomable to me what the early 20th century explorers did with the equipment they had on hand, get it, read it!

trailbiscuit said:

From the snubbed list, I would recommend "No Horizon Is So Far" by Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen with Cheryl Dahle.

Yes! I met them this year for their book tour and when I'd get tired along the trail this winter (especially pulling a sled), I'd mutter "Bancroft and Arnesen" again and again.

I love summer reading, so this will help!
:)

Thanks

kwc, thanks posting a working link. Don't know what I did wrong.

It's unbelievable what the explorers and adventurers of the 1700's, 1800's and early 1900's were able to do... No GoreTex, no polypro, no GPS, no high tech-lightweight gear. Just wits, guts, determination.

No. 15-SOUTH by Ernerst Shacklelton is on of the most amazing tales I've ever read. Modern adventureres who've tried to trace his steps have failed.

N0. 2- Journals of Lewis and Clark is great also. If you liked that or want a modern perspective on their travels, I recommend Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Another amazing tale.

I recently read "The Climb - Tragic Aspirations on Everest" by Anotoli Boukreev. A must read to complement the more famous "Into Thin Air".

KZ

I agree, KZ

Wow, my first post on VFTT!

It would have been cool to have seen one of Bernd Heinrich's books make that list. I'm reading "A Year in the Maine Woods" now. Great book. The author is a zoologist who spends a year observing nature for a year in northern Maine. Good stuff.

An excellet book is YAK BUTTER AND BLACK TEA by Wade Brackenbury. There is a statement on the cover "will fascinate-and terrify" and it was indeed riveting.
Minus 48 and Touching the Void are great.
Also a book by Alan Hobson-FROM EVEREST TO ENLIGHTENMENT. This book is very well written and not only describes the climb but all that it takes to get there-body, mind and soul. Lessons learned, the price paid. Have read lots of Everest books and this is one of my favorites.

:D :D :D :D :D

I recently read "The Climb - Tragic Aspirations on Everest" by Anotoli Boukreev. A must read to complement the more famous "Into Thin Air".

I agree, excellent book. Lene Gammelgaard's book Climbing High: A Woman's Account of Surviving the Everest Tragedy is another compulsory read. I thought a little less of Mr. Krakauer after reading these two books, though. I couldn't blame him too much for being a little scathing at times, though.