Trailess High Peaks Guide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfmoon

Reaction score
Can someone remind me of the name of the guide book that lists the routes to the trailess high peaks. I believe it's author is Barbara McMartin.

I think it's Discover the Adirondacks, High Peaks Region. She has published a whole set, one for each region.

maineguy has it right. That will give you all of the trailless 46 with one exception. For Esther you will need "Discover the Northern Adirondacks" (that book also includes Whiteface). And if you want info on bushwhack routes up the slides of Giant you will need "Discover the Northeastern Adirondacks" (which also includes Rocky Peak Ridge).

You should also look for the "Discover the High Peaks map" which is sold separately from the "Discover the Adirondack High Peaks" book. All of the other books in the series have maps included on the pages of the books.

The books can be difficult to find online, however, I searched at Abebooks and they are available. I have used Abebooks to find rare or out of print books. They arrange to have the books sent to you from independent book stores. It is a very reliable service with prompt delivery.

please keep in mind

Please keep in mind that these books/maps are outdated - the starting point for many of the hikes have changed dramatically, lean-to's have been removed, etc. I'd use this book (and they are great books) with a bit of caution. I'd check here for additional info and perhaps supplement the Discover book with the new (19th ed) ADK High Peaks guide - which has much more accurate info.

Brian

Bhoody beat me to it. The McMartin books were interesting "guides" to the areas, but never particularly informative for the trailless areas. Hurricane damage, removed or re-routed trails, out of date information from contributing authors.

They remain an "OK" source of information on some simple trailled routes, but you can get far better info on almost anything in a McMartin guidebook by just asking here.

I third that.....

Brian (BHoody) and Peakbagr are certainly correct. The guide is alright to give you a general feel, but if you try to follow the direction "to the tee", you will certainly get lost (lord knows I have).

If you look around, there are plenty of places to find information online. Ask on here, you'll likely get more info than you need. Best of all, most of the internet stuff is free (as opposed to the book). I've found, people are more than willing to share specific info about hiking if you want to ask specific questions.