First Presi Trip. Need a little help.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
To save everyone's time I will make this brief. I am coming in late friday night. I need a place to crash at the trailhead or a place two miles in. There is a possibility that we may go in Saturday morning early rather than friday night.

I need the EASIEST trip including campsites (not huts) that YOU would attempt if you have Saturday morning to Monday afternoon. I am looking for views, few people and minimial pain on accent or decent. A lot to ask....

In the spirit of the terse OP

- Friday night at Appalachia sleeping in the car
- Saturday hike up Airline to Madison Hut, bag Madison and Adams
- Stay Saturday night at the Perch
- Sunday hit Jefferson and the head south

NH schools get out this week so it's a big weekend in the Whites. Shelters and platforms are sure to be a crapshoot. For this reason we're planning a Pres Traverse mid-week starting out of Ho Jo's early to get to the Perch by 3PM.

Good luck with it though...

Few people? Minimal pain? This weekend you might want to re-think the Presi idea. Having said that, though, Dave's idea is pretty much the best option. The thing about the Presis is that there are few campsites that don't require a significant detour off the ridge. Once you get down to Nauman Campsite, you're basically done with the traverse. And you will have plenty of people regardless. Alternatives might be something further north or east.

Also, bring plenty of your favorite bug repellent and I'd favor a headnet.
Weatherman

This weekend would be a very busy choice on the Presis. If you looking for views and no people, I'd konsider the Kilkenny Range instead?!?!?

David Metsky said:
In the spirit of the terse OP

- Friday night at Appalachia sleeping in the car
- Saturday hike up Airline to Madison Hut, bag Madison and Adams
- Stay Saturday night at the Perch
- Sunday hit Jefferson and the head south

that is a very goodnorthern presi plan, if sleeping in the car is not your thing, Hikers' paradise in gorham

another option:
-Friday: hike into Tuckerman Ravine
-Saturday: up to the ridge via Lion Head or Tuck's, then hike South on Crawford path to Nauman, bagging Monroe, Eisenhower, Pierce
-Sunday: Depending on how you feel, You can go out to the road (3 miles), or up to Jackson and Webster

If you are really looking for an easy way to hit the presi's:
-Friday: Lowe's Path to Log cabin
-Saturday: Randolph Path to Perch, drop your pack and day hike to Jefferson
-Sunday: up and over Adams and Madison

The northern route (Dave's) is a little more difficult, but probably has better views, and a bit more exposure
The Southern route is a little easier (especially if you opt for Lion's head, not Tuck's), and bags one more peak.
The last plan has minimal impact for the northern presi's, as nothing breaks up impact quite like a day hike in the middle of a trip.

As far as campsite views, the Perch is as good as it gets.

w7xman said:
This weekend would be a very busy choice on the Presis. If you looking for views and no people, I'd konsider the Kilkenny Range instead?!?!?

disclaimer to my post: few people in the Presi's or pemi - not very likely EVER, the plans I outlined are a little crowded, the Perch is the least trafficked, but the northern presi's are the roughest area