Great Gulf camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - there are several. Somewhat depends upons whether your plans include the Northern Presis or more towards Washington.

as kevin said there are a few of them. the only one i have camped at is just a bit past the wamsutta trail junction on the great gulf trail. was a good location for striking out at the great gulf headwall or sphinx trail as well as to six husbands and buttress. spent a couple days a few years ago exploring the above mentioned trails from that point. lots of fun. are also legal sites, last i knew, at the bluff, the clamshell rock, and on the buttress trail where it splits from six husbands. there is osgood tentsite as well just outside the wilderness area.
have fun.

bryan

There are designated campsites along the Great Gulf trail up to the Six Husbands junction. They are easy to spot and great to use, but aren't on the maps. You can also camp by following the rules listed above but that's not often needed.

David Metsky said:
They are easy to spot and great to use, but aren't on the maps. You can also camp by following the rules listed above but that's not often needed.

The map in my White Mountain Guide (old edition... 26th, I think?) has the campsites marked. Just curious... has that been eliminated in the maps that come with the newer editions? I haven't updated. :)

- Ivy

Last edited:
poison ivy said:
The map in my White Mountain Guide (old edition... 26th, I think?) has the campsites marked. Just curious... has that been eliminated in the maps that come with the newer editions? I haven't updated. :)
Yes, they were eliminated. Some of the campsites marked on your maps are now officially closed. I think that's why they decided to remove them - the fear that they would change too often.

David Metsky said:
Yes, they were eliminated. Some of the campsites marked on your maps are now officially closed. I think that's why they decided to remove them - the fear that they would change too often.
I think the ultimate goal is to eliminate designated campsites in Wilderness areas - finding your own is part of the experience. You should not look at a map to see where campsites are but rather look at the terrain. Of course like many Wilderness concepts not all users will like this.

The site on the right above Wamsutta Junction

Is real nice and was also apparently where the old giant GG lean-to was located.

easy to find em signs on the trail mostly - right behind clam rock is one, the bluff has one (good for the friday night hike in), couple on madison gulf as well - last year these were still there and legal

I say spread the word if it helps someone. I am not too big on all the secretive don't tell anyone BS that the bag of tools get into.

giggy said:
I say spread the word if it helps someone. I am not too big on all the secretive don't tell anyone BS that the bag of tools get into.
You ony say that cause you dont know where they are :p

The ones around the Bluff were still there last weekend as were some on Madison Gulf Trail. They are signed and assumably legal. Osgood campsite was still open. Sign idiciates it has a bathroom and a common area for a fire. I didn't see anyone at the campsites or on the trail last weekend. I plan on going back in August to camp myself. Hopefully these are secretive enough that I'll be able to get a site easily.