Thread: Jefferson Notch Road

Jefferson Notch Road

I've never been on Jefferson Notch Road-Can anyone give me some info about it.
    Is it paved?
    How would a Camry do on it?
    Thanks

Its dirt and its not as twisty as some roads, but its still fun to drive! Barring washouts and anything else unpredictable that weather can do a Camry can handle it.
    " by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in.."- From the letter of my great uncle Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry) to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

LIVE FREE OR DIE - DEATH IS NOT THE GREATEST OF EVILS
    Gen. John Stark July 1809

Our Camry handles it A-OK. Just go slow and watch for cars coming the other way!
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

Just be careful

if driving it the first time, esp. if heading north and esp. if it's been raining. after you pass the height of land other side of Caps trailhead it starts to go downhill and although not too steep, it gathers speed like a donwhill ski run and if wet can be muddy, slippery, rutty, etc. So, don't go too fast. I made that mistake once and found myself sideways...
    Buy my new book 'Zen and the Art of Pessimisim,' or not. I guess it doesn't really matter if you read it.

As Gris mentioned it is in better condition on the south side of the Caps ridge parking lot. The north end is a bit narrower and has a few interesting sharp turn. If you have driven Pinkham B road (AKA dolly copp road) its in better shape overall from a pothole perspective.

In some ways the road is too well graded as people go way to fast to be able avoid incoming traffic. In many places, the road is not wide enough for two cars to pass unless both cars are going very slowly and there are ditches on either side of the road that make pulling over difficult.

Note that some folks seem to have problems finding the north end of Jefferson Notch road. I think there may be some old map data out there that shows it coming out on Route 2 instead of Valley road.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger
    Note that some folks seem to have problems finding the north end of Jefferson Notch road. I think there may be some old map data out there that shows it coming out on Route 2 instead of Valley road.
    You got that right! We were on the western end of Valley Road
    and the amount of traffic that came up our long dirt driveway in the summer was crazy. We eventually put up a sign saying that this was not JNR and it gave distance to JNR but I think new owners took it down.
    " by reason of much foule weather and Extreme Bad Woods to travel in.."- From the letter of my great uncle Samuel Willard (accompanied by my grandfather Henry) to Governor Dummer on August 16, 1725, explaining the reason for his return, being instructed to "range all the country", of the Wawobadenik (White Mountains) July 19-August 16, 1725. I am a 13th generation New Englander and proud of it.

LIVE FREE OR DIE - DEATH IS NOT THE GREATEST OF EVILS
    Gen. John Stark July 1809