Our Mistakes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mistakes?

In addition to all the above (I unconsciously like to learn from my own mistakes not others), I gained life lessons from these:

* When carrying a Nalgene upright in the winter, you can strike the cap against a rock to break the ice holding it closed; but striking it real hard will break the cap too.
Lesson: 3/4 of the cap still seals it closed!
* Boots, even those given as a gift by she-who-must-be-obeyed, require a break-in before wearing for 15 miles.
Lesson: Cross paths with a guy who was also sporting newly gifted boots, and brought "protection".
* That 80s vintage Peak-1 stove snitched from your brothers garage also makes an excellent lighthouse/eyebrow remover.
Lesson: She-who-must-be-obeyed is not impressed with firefighting skills instead of dinner. Ditto for the Pepsi can stove lighting ritual a few years later.
* When planning on returning in the dark, check the headlamp for good batteries before you're on the mountain.
Lesson: Jogging down a trail at dusk is exciting and great exercise!
* When your aware of your memory issues and forget to bring things that are obvious, placethem (e.g. boots) in front of the door and not next to the door.
Lesson: While putting your "must take" items in a merely obvious spot, sometimes putting them in an incredibly obvious place is better.

Jim