The SUMMER flower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Took lots of photos today, here are just a few to start with...

First off, can anybody identify this?? (EDIT: I can. see my next post.)
Reddish stems, no leaves, growing in a cluster in mostly-shaded, damp soil. Flowers quite small: about the size of a wasp's head.
img5583pa5.jpg

Plenty of these (C. Acaule) still around, though some are now past prime

img5482kq5.jpg

Oh, and when was the last time you saw this {A. Caerulea?} in New England?
img5638as5.jpg

(I'm pulling your legs on the last one - it's from the front garden!)

Last edited:
Alpine Garden

I drove up to the top of Mt. Washington yesterday to cheer on Snowman and the other 800+ runners in the Mt. Washington Road Race. It was a great day for it! No rain. No wind. A bit of cloud cover, but nice. Before the race started I got in a quick hike down to the Alpine Garden.

I saw the following...

Diapensia
Image-EE490CAC3FF311DD.jpg

Labrador Tea
Image-EE49D2933FF311DD.jpg

Alpine Azalea
Image-EE49E5753FF311DD.jpg

I thought this was Marsh Marigold... Can anyone confirm? I saw it a bunch through the Alpine Garden, mostly by the little streams that were flowing through.
Image-EE49B09D3FF311DD.jpg

Also saw this plant... No idea what it is. Does anyone know?
Image-EE49C0E13FF311DD.jpg

Other than that, there was a fair amount of bluets and bunchberries.

All in all, a fun little jaunt!

Nice shots from the gardens.

Your two shots in question are:
1) Not marsh marigold, but instead a mountain avens. Common in the Presidential Range, rare in the rest of the world. Only two other areas in subarctic canada host these flowers.

2) Bearberry Willow catkins...

I think my first one is corallorhiza maculata, "summer coralroot". How appropriate.

It's a chlorophyll-less, heterotrophic orchid.
Here's a brighter photo:
414475.jpg

A little less unusual: everybody knows Jack (Arisaema Triphylum)

414478.jpg

Phyllodoce caerulea (mountain heath) -- for the most part, found only above 5000' in steep sheltered rocky areas where snow collects & provides a more moist habitat. Leaves are similar to fir leaves & form a whorl roughly 1/2" wide around a woody stem. In flower roughly from mid-June to early July. This plant is not too difficult to recognize when not in flower (although from a distance it is hard to tell from fir or crowberry) by looking for the 5-parted seed capsules from this year or last year. Found in arctic-alpine environments of the northern hemisphere; aside from Alaska, in the US it is found only in the Presidential and Franconia ranges of NH and around Mt Katahdin in Maine. It is considered rare ("threatened") by both states.

Huperzia appalachiana (a club moss) -- often overlooked. The sesame-seed-like spore cases along the upper part of the stem are characteristic in alpine environments. Most clubmosses have a spore capsule that sticks up above the clubmoss. This one seems to grow in exposed subalpine or alpine environments; if you see it on or near a summit in NH, please report to NH Natural Heritage Bureau -- for historical/taxonomic reasons it wasn't placed on the state's tracking list until relatively recently, so there isn't as much recent field data for it as other species, and in quite a few towns in the state it is "historic" (not documented in the last 20 years -- though probably still around).

great thread!

The following were taken on or near Livermore Trail, June 21st.

European Columbine

flume-5.jpg

Blue Flag Iris

flume-7.jpg

an excellent trail for pink and white Lady's Slippers...

flume.jpg

happy trails :)

I'm SURE somebody posted a pic of this on VFTT recently and identified it, but now I can't find it. It's close to two feet tall, with two tiers of leaves: the first tier is a rosette of six or seven narrow leaves that looks a lot like starflower (if starflower grew just a little taller), the upper tier is three broad leaves whose arrangement reminds me of trillium. As you can see, flowers droop from stems which start above the upper tier. Check out those stigmas baby! Stem starts dark and hairy, and becomes increasingly narrow, green and smooth with height.

Edit: on closer inspection, the vein pattern in the lower leaves is different from starflower. This one has parallel longitudinal ribs, like lilies do; starflower has a central rib with shorter veins branching off oppositely at about 45 degrees.

(click for bigger)

same species

Last edited:
nartreb said:

(click for bigger)
Indian cucumber (or indian cucumber root) (lily family / medeola virginiana)
Berries are inedible but the root is quite tasty.

Silene acaulis (moss campion) -- found on a few gravelly sites in the Presidential Range. "acaulis" = lacking a stem (another example: pink lady's slipper = Cypripedium acaule). Plants in the carnation family = Caryophyllaceae almost always have linear leaves and 5 notched petals that are pink or white.

I am happy to be seeing more of these.

Wood Lily

Last edited:
This was a new one for me:

Cow wheat

Last edited: