Mount Major Night / Overnight Parking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
Given their relatively reasonable location in this climate of high gas prices, I'm looking into some traverses of the Belknap Range this summer, and, as always will be scouting views for a sunrise / sunset shot.

I think I've read that camping is either prohibited or atleast discouraged on the range (can anyone confirm or deny).

But what about leaving a car at the trailhead. Is it legal to leave a car overnight at Mount Major? Will it alert athorities to a (hopefully) needless rescue. Is it discouraged? Is it safe?

I will likely just be leaving it there after dark for a bit, or getting there very early once I scout locations, but want to make sure it's 'okay'...

Thoughts appreciated...

The AMC Southern NH Guide states: “In general, camping and fires are prohibited in this area.” I have seen evidence in the past that people have camped though in recent years I have seen much less evidence, so either very few do so now or they clean up after themselves and don’t leave fire rings. :)

If you are hiking after dark or early morning you may not be alone. This is not uncommon. So a car in the lot wouldn’t necessarily set off a search party. I have also seen less ‘party’ trash in the parking lot, and have not heard of any vandalism, but that doesn’t guarantee a safe lot. Parking in the area down by the highway may make it a bit safer in the darker hours.

As I often mention, feel free to ask me if you have questions about the range.

Parking location

Knowledgable Mount Major hikers tend to park their vehicles as close to Route 11 as possible and not up "out of sight" in the parking area. The sparkling shards of automobile window glass are most commonly seen on the ground up in the lot and not near the highway where detection of nocturnal naughtiness is more likely.

If you decide to camp, better to not build a fire and advertise your presence. Practice LNT with a vengeance!

Hillwalker said:
Knowledgable Mount Major hikers tend to park their vehicles as close to Route 11 as possible and not up "out of sight" in the parking area.
I must not be 'knowledgeable'. But have never had an issue in 20 years.

Hillwalker said:
The sparkling shards of automobile window glass are most commonly seen on the ground up in the lot
Having kept the parking area clean of trash for about 10 years I have no seen such glass. Hillwalker needs to visit more often. ;)

True it's been awhile

True, It's been a while. I used to live at Keewaydin place and would run Major every day after work. But that's in the eighties. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. eh? Lived in Alton in the early fifties when Major was very seldom hiked compared to today. Still see lots of cars parked down low on weekday mornings when the upper lot is pretty empty. I pass by there on Rte 11 several times a week on my way to the coast from the Western Whites.

Hillwalker said:
If you decide to camp, better to not build a fire and advertise your presence. Practice LNT with a vengeance!

Great to hear that I won't have a parking problem. If I do 'camp', it will be a bivy sac on a rock surface, and a jet boil...I pride myself in leaving a negative trace...packing out more than in...

IF I stay up there, it will not be known...but I'll probably hike it a few times first to figure out the spots.

Carole...I may PM you after my first hike...

The Phantom Trailbuilder can tell you where 2 cabins have been built (presumably illegally) in this area, so patrol is not as thorough as the Whites

Not sure why you need to camp, even I can hike the range end to end and it has been done out and back in a day - no worse than Bonds

Hillwalker said:
Still see lots of cars parked down low on weekday mornings when the upper lot is pretty empty. I pass by there on Rte 11 several times a week on my way to the coast from the Western Whites.
There are some regulars that park at bottom on any given day which is more likely due to easier exit (people seem to have interesting ways to park, sometimes even blocking other cars) than vandalism. As others pull in they think there must be a reason to park there and thus others do also.

RoySwkr said:
The Phantom Trailbuilder can tell you where 2 cabins have been built (presumably illegally) in this area, so patrol is not as thorough as the Whites
I have seen pictures of some shelters/hunters camps, and have seen the remains of some also. I don't think you'll find them close to Mt. Major but more so on the western side. I never went in search of them but here's a couple pics.

2006 hunters camp pic
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/506/medium/Hunters_camp_-_Belknaps_3.jpg

2nd hunters camp pic
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/506/medium/Hunters_camp_-_Belknaps.jpg